• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My blunderbuss options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A blunderbuss is pretty much useless. Sure, it might be fun to see the effective range of shot on tin cans. But then what are you going to do with it? Shoot more cans at close range?
They were meant for making short work of highwaymen when shooting from a stagecoach or on mutineers when shooting from the Quarter Deck, But the latter was more often dealt with using a swivel gun.

The Muzzle is for quick reloads, not for shot spread.

LD

Dave, being a child of the 1950s and an absolute cartoon vacuum, I have probably seen that one a dozen times, but had forgotten it. We made the "Donderbüchsen" out of cardboard, our conical hats of black construction paper and our collars out of brown and white construction paper and were taught by our third-grade teachers to believe that we had nailed the Pilgrim. 😄

If I was going to get one I'd sure bid on that original. If I had the money I would because it's original. THAT I wouldn't get tired of very quick. In fact I bookmarked that site. That right there is what I love about this sport, that old gun could have been miss Cindy's great great great great Gramps gun and he could have shot many turkeys and other 2 & 4 legged creatures!

So I got bitten by blunderbuss bug and shopping around for one. I don't know why but Pedersoli doesn't make any, Traditions blunderbuss kit looks like some sort of musical instrument and I really hate the way it looks. Rifle Shoppe got kit but it requires time and skill to put together. Indian made guns are not an option as well. What would you recommend?
I got mine from Pecatonica. Good fun for salutes. I sometimes use it for trap; hit some if I can get the shot off quick enuf.

They do come around on various sites used periodically. A few years back I found this one made for/by CVA out of Spain. It has a brass barrel and is .69 caliber. I have only fired a few blank rounds through it one July 4th. Not sure why I am holding on to it. I rarely shoot these days and it is not one I grab when going shooting.

Attachments

• IMG_20240305_130149862.jpg
    IMG_20240305_130149862.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240305_130159399.jpg
    IMG_20240305_130159399.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240305_130213845.jpg
    IMG_20240305_130213845.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
They were meant for making short work of highwaymen when shooting from a stagecoach or on mutineers when shooting from the Quarter Deck, But the latter was more often dealt with using a swivel gun.

And ... well, and you'd be quite wrong ...

Yes, the muzzle was flared for FASTER loading whether 'tis be shipboard or on a stage coach, however ... it is a complete MYTH that the muzzle shape does not affect the shot spread.

Please read the attached testing, as in the article ‘Myths of the Blunderbuss’ by Melvin Flanagan (American Society of Arms Collectors, Volume No. 96, Sept 2007) details 108 patterning shots conducted to evaluate the pellet dispersion in blunderbuss barrels. Summary on Page 8 concludes – "The results of these tests prove that the blunderbuss barrel did scatter shot over a larger area than a gun barrel without any flare."

Attachments

• Myths of the Blunderbuss, M. Flanigan.pdf
    582.2 KB · Views: 0
And ... well, and you'd be quite wrong ...

Yes, the muzzle was flared for FASTER loading whether 'tis be shipboard or on a stage coach, however ... it is a complete MYTH that the muzzle shape does not affect the shot spread.

Please read the attached testing, as in the article ‘Myths of the Blunderbuss’ by Melvin Flanagan (American Society of Arms Collectors, Volume No. 96, Sept 2007) details 108 patterning shots conducted to evaluate the pellet dispersion in blunderbuss barrels. Summary on Page 8 concludes – "The results of these tests prove that the blunderbuss barrel did scatter shot over a larger area than a gun barrel without any flare."
I have read the article and have questions re the stated conclusions. The test barrels were all the same overall length. The result is that the unflaired barrel is a full length cylinder bore, while the flared barrels were only cylinder bored for a fraction of their length and then larger bore. As the shot entered the flared section of the barrel, it was free to expand/open the pattern to that larger diameter. Not performed would be a test of cylinder bored barrels of shorter lengths that corresponded to the cylinder bored length of the flared barrels. I am fairly certain that the shorter barrels would have wider patterns. than the full 20" cylinder bore barrel. Now, if the short cylinder bore barrel pattern was the same as the flared barrel with the same internal length of cylinder bore, we could conclude that the flare itself does not open the pattern but that the pattern opens as soon as the shot leaves the restricted (cylinder bore) portion of the barrel. So as a possible example, a Buss with a 20" barrel & 14 of those inches being cylinder bore, would need to have a wider pattern than a shorter 14" cylinder bore barrel before it could be said that the flare itself helps to open the pattern.

Have Ed Rayl make you a barrel with a 1" bore, the rest you can buy and make one that is an actual blunderbuss. I made a Queen Anne version doglock type with parts from TRS and stocked it myself. Thought I was on top of the world cause I had a blunderbuss that nobody had. The next year, the Indians started importing theirs, and everybody had one! It hangs on a wall in my father's house now. Awesome fun to shoot. If you want one, do it right.

LD

The blunderbuss uses are pretty much how LD described it here. Largely used for stage coaches, and had a specific naval use.

There are many myths that deal with blunderbuss’s, its use amongst pirates and pirate captains is a largely fictional with , there are no records of any pirate captain that favored the use of a blunderbuss.

So dont’ go asking a pirate reinactor for facts, especially if they don’t live near water haha

Check out the thread in pre flintlock arms about the ottoman and Circassian blunderbusses…..FANCY!!

Now for a legal question. With the Tennessee Valley gun at only 14 inches would it require a tax stamp in those states that include BP firearms in their modern gun laws?

I bought one, did I need it no, did I want it, hell yeah! Haven't fired it yet. Had it at a local well known shop, they couldn't get the barrel off to see if any makers marks under the barrel. He said he would shoot it(that it was safe to shoot) which made my wife happy to hear.
20230625_211605.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that it's a totally useless toy that probably won't get a lot of playtime once the initial newness wears off. But you know I get it. Sometimes we just want something that calls to us but makes no sense to own one. But it always has some resale value and it costs a lot less than my gotta have it sports car. :doh:

I agree that it's a totally useless toy that probably won't get a lot of playtime once the initial newness wears off. But you know I get it. Sometimes we just want something that calls to us but makes no sense to own one. But it always has some resale value and it costs a lot less than my gotta have it sports car. :doh:
yes call it mid life crisis blunderbuss

Back