• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzleloading 'fireworks' ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Purely for the sake of discussion and debate, and on the eve of celebrating our nation's independence and date of birth, would it be possible to add 'firework compounds' into the black powder mix of a muzzleloading single-shot rifle or pistol for a more visual (colorful) effect?
How would any of these additional chemicals affect the black powder itself?
Or would one have to use a wad between the black powder and these chemicals so as to not mix/dilute the BP?
20210628_071530.png

Yes , you can. May be best to avoid the metals to avoid possibly nasty barrel adhesions. I remember back in the '70s the local muzzleloader group would march in parades and shoot off their guns with blank loads. At night they would shoot off different colors in a line of 3.

A good charge of BP with a prodex pellet seated on top makes a pretty good flash, just need to watch the fallout zone. The pellet may travel a ways. That is the only use I have for those pellets.

A good charge of BP with a prodex pellet seated on top makes a pretty good flash, just need to watch the fallout zone. The pellet may travel a ways. That is the only use I have for those pellets. BP by it self needs a over powder patch

I used to shoot bottle rockets into the sky with my Brown Bess. The discharge sent the bottle rocket wayyy up and the fuse got lit from the powder charge which sent it eve higher up. Could not even hear the ‘pop’ when it exploded up there. I was soooo irresponsible 😔
Thanks, gotta try that with a musket cap 🤪

Last year I took the Bess out onto the back porch and loaded it with a powder charge - a wad over the powder - and another powder charge.
The first charge made a nice flash - and when that flash made it's way to the powder from the second charge - I got a nice big ball of fire about 15' high.
I am going to try the steel wool this year. That's one way to make a self cleaning shot?

A number of years ago, a group of reenactors at a camp got into a bit of an alcohol fueled discussion around a campfire about whether or not a percussion cap would light off a bottle rocket in the barrel of a musket. A bit of experimentation was determined to be in order and yes, it would. So next thing you know, guys were picking sides, issuing "ammunition", and the Battle of the Bottlerockets was on.

May or may not have happened..........🤪

Strawberry flavored moonshine makes for foggy memories sometimes.............................

When I was a kid I would put fire crackers in the barrel of my 22 caliber air rifle, light the fuse and shoot them up into the sky,Then when older, but not wiser I would put paper powder charges in my muzzle loading shotgun and shoot them up.

Then there's the "mayonaise jar" method of bottle rocket volley fire that may or may not have happened.

Start with an empty glass mayo jar. Opinions differ as to whether Dukes or Helmans work best.

Put at least 1 gross of bottle rockets into the jar with an interlacing of cannon fuse. For those informationaly impaired, 1 gross - 12 dozen. Light fuse and run. To make it directional for a devestating bottle rocket battle direct fire weapon, use a bit of PVC pipe. Tactical note, it's a one shot thing and after empty, the shooter's time before being pelted by all participants is measured in nano seconds. Use with care.

But who knows, it might not have happened. After all strawberry flavored 'shine makes for a very fuzzy memory. 😋

We used to get the fireworks rockets that actually looked like a small rocket, not the kind on a stick. Anyway, we would take the nose one off, dump out the pyrotechnics, then add our own, in the form of an m80 or several firecrackers. Sometimes both when the rocket was large enough. You'd have to cut the fuse on the m80 until it just barely was sticking out of the little tube. If you didn't do that it could fall back to earth before exploding. With the fuse real short, it guaranteed the thing would blow up about a hundred or so feet off the ground. Man were they loud when they exploded mid air.

Latest posts

Back