• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short barrel muzzleloaders and accuracy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a CVA FRONTIER .50, and my groups touch at point of aim everytime from 25 to 100 yards and 80 grains of 2f pyrodex.

As a hunter, the long barrels are OK for sitting in a tree stand. They are a liability when still hunting in thick stuff (where I hunt). For hunting through heavy brush, the carbines rule. Less barrel to get hung up in grapevines, rose bushes, berry bushes and the other junk. My favourites are a .50 Greyhawk, a .54 Lyman Deerstalker, and a .50 Cabela carbine (all 24" or less). For the kind of ranges seen in heavy brush, they're more than accurate enough. Actually they do well to at least 100 yds, which is my ML limit.

The forests must've been a different place back in the day of the long hunter. Don't know how they got through the woods with their 40+" longrifles.
A mature forest has less understory. If you think of sunlight as food, the mature forest "eats" most of it and what is underneath gets very little.

I suspect the long hunter hunted as I do. On the edges of forests and in clearings. I hunt small game. Birds in particular. Deep woods are not productive for me.

Back