• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Murphy's Oil Soap,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used Dutch's moose milk recipe for years . . maybe 17. I have always used Murphy's Oil Soap instead of Lestoil, because it was what I had. Also always used Balistol for the water soluble oil.

It was always worked well.

I have used Murphy's Oil Soap and water mix as a patch lube, it also worked well as a damp patch lube . . just not as accurate as the Balistol dry patch method.

My $0.02

Jim in NC

Colorado Clyde said:
What powder were you using?

Hodgdon Triple Se7en FFFG. This was my first outing with it. I am new to muzzle loader shooting and one of the experienced muzzle loader shooters at my gun club recommended it.

I am trying to come up with a good charge weight for accuracy at 50 meters. Once I can consistently shoot good groups at 50 meters, I will start developing a 100 meter load.

simon said:
Just drip some on. Only takes a drop. Just spread it across the surface of the patch with my finger. Difficult to say how much. I’ve sorta got used to dripping on just enough to moisten one side of the patch.

I may try this and shoot some groups. I may also chronograph loads using only MOS as patch lube and see if it affects the muzzle velocity of a known load.

Don’t know how it will work for you. I haven’t done any testing. It just seems to keep the barrel cleaner and give me good groups. Good luck with your trials

When I was a kid we all just called it “Murphy’s Oil”, I didn’t know it was supposed to be called “Murphy’s Oil Soap” until I was much older. Even today it sounds weird to use the full name.

Sorry for this, just the ramblings of a lunatic here.

I won't have a chance to experiment using pure Murphy's Oil Soap as patch lube until next week. I have a vintage rifle match on Saturday. (I'll be shooting my new fangled M24/47 Mauser, not a muzzle loader). On Sunday we are expecting a considerable amount of rain.

I plan on shooting groups at 25 meters and 50 meters using known loads. I also plan on using the chronograph to determine if muzzle velocity will be different than when I used Ox Yoke patches and home made patches. I may even try the MOS at our Muzzle Loader Match at the local gun club on October 21st.

I appreciate your input.

I felt it necessary to delete several posts in this topic.
They really did not contribute anything to the topic so, IMO, they were no loss.

Let's please keep the posts on track and discuss the merits and demerits of Murphy's Oil Soap.

Thank you. :)

I stopped at the range today and did a little testing at 25 meters with my CVA .45 caliber Kentucky Rifle. I used a load that was known to shoot 1" or better at 25 meters. I compared loads with pure Murphy's Oil Soap rubbed into a pillow ticking patch and pillow ticking patches treated with lube consisting of 1 part Ballistol, 1 part Murphy's Oil Soap and 20 parts water. The treated patches were allowed to get almost dry before I stored them in an old medicine bottle a few days ago.

When I applied the pure Murphy's Oil Soap, I rubbed it into the side of the pillow ticking with the darker blue stripes. The side I rubbed with my thumb was placed on the muzzle toward the powder charge with the unrubbed side facing the ball for every shot for consistency.

I found patches on the ground and all burn marks were centered. All three loads were measured with a chronograph placed 15 feet from the muzzle.

AV = Average Velocity, HV = High Velocity, LV = Low Velocity, ES = Extreme Spread, SD = Standard Deviation. M.O.S. = Murphy's Oil Soap.

Load 1: 40g Pyrodex P + Hornady Round Ball + CCI # 11 cap + Patches Treated with pure M.O.S. AV-1410 fps, HV/LV-1460/1353 fps, ES/SD-107/47 fps. Group size was 1-3/8" W x 3" H. Pushing the load with the ramrod was easier with the M.O.S. patches vs the patches treated with home made lube.

Load 2: 40g Pyrodex P + Hornady Round Ball + CCI # 11 cap + Patches Treated with Home Made Lube. AV-1445 fps, HV/LV-1461/1413 fps, ES/SD-48/18 fps. Group size was 7/16" W x 15/16" H with all shots in one ragged hole. Pushing the ramrod took more effort and there was more felt recoil when I fired the rifle.

Load 3: 40g Hodgdon Triple Se7en FFFG + Hornady Round Ball + CCI # 11 cap + Patches Treated with pure M.O.S. AV-1464 fps, HV/LV-1493/1438 fps, ES/SD-55/25 fps. Group size was 7/8" W x 7/8" H. On a previous outing the same load using home made patch lube chronographed at 35 fps faster and printed a 1" W x 9/16" H group.

It would appear my rifle does not like pure Murphy's Oil Soap for patch lube when shooting 40 grains of Pyrodex P powder. Using pure Murphy's Oil Soap for patch lube made no difference in accuracy when shooting Triple Se7en FFFG.

The Triple Se7en FFFG load shot to the same Point of Impact at 25 meters and 50 meters on a previous outing. When the opportunity presents itself, I will shoot groups at 50 meters using pure Murphy's Oil Soap for patch lube. If the 25 meter group was not a fluke, I don't anticipate shooting a decent 50 meter group with Pyrodex P and pure M.O.S..

I have only had the rifle a few weeks and have only fired 235 rounds to date. In time, I should have more data.

I’ve never shot any of my rifles with a synthetic black powder, so, although your results are interesting, they don’t have any particular relevance to me. Also I only shoot rock locks. That said, I still look forward to seeing your future tests.

Black powder can't be found in retail outlets in my area and the HazMat fee makes it expensive for me to order online.

What kind of groups are you shooting with real black powder and pure M.O.S. on your patches Simon?

Touching shots from a rest at 25yds and I’ve managed 2 1/2” at 50 from a rest -5 shot groups. I did manage approx 4” group at 100 but that was on one day and my eyes aren’t that good anyway now.
I wasn’t commenting on your use of synthetic bp as a critism. Just pointing out that your results weren’t as relevant to me. Btw the main rifle in question is a Lillte cheap 0.45” 33” barrel Italian gun from the 1980,s? Called a Kentuckian With hardly discernible rifling. 0.44” cast ball and 15 thou cotton patch. Probably the most accurate of all my guns. Why that is I don’t know.
Regards
Simon

That is pretty good shooting in my opinion. If I can consistently shoot 2-1/2" at 50 meters with my cheap .45 caliber CVA, I am happy.

I did not take your comment as criticism, although I probably deserve more than most. :grin:

I re-read my long winded post and realized I posted the Moose Milk recipe I have been using and not the patch lube recipe. The patch lube I have been using is Ballistol and water mixed 1:7.

Today, I soaked patches in Murphy's Oil Soap, wrung them out thoroughly, dried them, then secured them in a reasonably tight medicine bottle. We'll see if that makes a difference. I may not have been applying the M.O.S. evenly from patch to patch when I rubbed it in.

I can buy Pyrodex RS and Pyrodex P locally for $18.99 per pound. Ordering black powder online is considerably more expensive.

If anyone has a local muzzleloader club that they can join, it can be a source for BP. My local muzzleloader club orders BP by the case, which results in members being able to purchase it for around $15 a pound. They usually get Goex or Schuetzen.

Latest posts

Back