• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Murphy's Oil Soap,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just getting ready to soak my percussion pistol felt wads with T/C Bore Butter. This thread has me thinking it might be worth soaking a batch with MOS. My standard loading procedure is powder/lubed wad/ball with no lube over the ball.

I am just getting ready to soak my percussion pistol felt wads with T/C Bore Butter. This thread has me thinking it might be worth soaking a batch with MOS. My standard loading procedure is powder/lubed wad/ball with no lube over the ball.
That is the same procedure I have used. Both for Remington 44 and TC Renegade 54 when not patch & ball.
I do stay away from any petroleum product with BP, learned from others of the goo it makes.

Hey Dutch, Thank you for starting this thread. The topic is on my mind because I finally finished the Moose Milk my buddy gave me when I bought my first flinter nine years ago. That means I need to brew up some more. I've used MOS to clean the stock an my antique double rifle, and it's an ingredient in many lube recipes I have seen, but I never thought about using it to clean the bore. I've always used some variant of Simple Orange. Now I'll have to try MOS to clean the bore. And apparently I was right to wonder whether I really needed any other ingredients in the lube when I'm on the range (thanks Cositrike). Usually the snow's on the ground (like now) when I'm hunting, so I use that Trapper's Pure Mink Oil goo from TOTW for that pursuit.
My pleasure. Hope it works for you.

I have been using a solution of Ballistol mixed with water (@25% Ballistol to 75% water) in my muzzleloader and BPCR rifles for around the past 25 years and I have not found any other homemade or storebought product that works as well to dissolve fouling. It doesn’t hurt the wood and when it evaporates it leaves behind a film that seems to prevent rust.

I also use the same mixture to lube patches while shooting.

I even use Ballistol to spray down my modern firearms if they are out in the rain - since it mixes with water it sucks the moisture out of all the tiny spots you can’t reach with a rag.

Gary

Was researching MOS and noted that there area few formulations available. I assume everyone is referencing MOS "Original Formula". We have MOS "Squirt and Mop" in the closet now, but this is a watery product and likely not the preferred product. Also the ingredients of MOS include "soap salts" but I presume these are not the type of "salts" that we have to worry about being in the bore of our guns?

https://www.murphyoilsoap.com/products/original-oil-soap

MOS is a fine product, and works well.

Changing the subject a bit here, I read that someone uses soaked felt wads. I do, and they work great for round ball (revolvers). If I do run out, Crisco works great to lube & cover the balls.

To clear things up I only used the Murphy's for cleaning, and the moistened patches I described were for cleaning, as I shoot a hallow based minie which doesn't need a patch.

I tried Murphy's Oil Soap for patch lube and documented how well it worked compared to other lubes I use. I may or may not use it in the future. If it works for you, by all means use it.

It would appear that members of the muzzle loading community use a wide variety of lubes and that gives us a lot to experiment with in our own rifles.

I like use the KISS rule and I don’t mean the rock band.
Whatever works for you, works for you. I use MOS, I use Ballistol, I use TC Bore Butter, I use Windex, Car windshield washer fluid, rubbing alcohol.
It works in all ways that enables us to continue to enjoy shooting our Blackpowder guns.
Other than the TC Bore Butter and Ballistol that are store bought it’s the home products that are what you make of it.
I agree that this is great that we can share and continue to use what others have “mad scientisted” at some point and share our own concoctions.
It’s the simple things that count!

Back