• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mowrey Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great posts, @flintsteel !

It seems this rifle would be a perfect candidate for reproduction, with cast parts and assembly line compatibility. There appears to be some interest, suggesting a market. As discussed, it is an authentic representation of an original, and much more authentic than any of the brass-mounted, so-called “Hawkens.”

I wonder if any of the R&D people in the industry read these forums…

I thought Mowrey offered an iron ( steel) version, also. I’ve been wrong before.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Here’s some photos of the original. The barrel is 34 1/2” and tapers slightly from 1” at the breech to .950 at muzzle. Caliber is around .45. Notice the square headed nail someone used to strengthen the main spring. Also note there is no half cock On the sear. In the late 50’s I shot an awful lot of rabbits and coyotes with this gun. First Muzzleloading rifle I owned.

The Allen was a “factory” built gun and its design required very little skilled workmanship. Workers could be assigned a specific task and repeat it time and again without much instruction. It was low priced but effective. And strong. Not much to go wrong with it. Sheer genius!

The bolt through the stock from the butt to the action kept the stock solidly secured and also strengthened the sock. This is the earliest iteration of the through bolt in guns I am aware of.
Fantastic, thank you for the info. Dave

Hello all, I picked this up off of GB a couple months ago for $600. so, I figured I would share it with you.
the "Factory" papers are severely damaged, View attachment 148486View attachment 148487View attachment 148488View attachment 148489View attachment 148490View attachment 148491View attachment 148492View attachment 148493 so I scanned it and digitally repaired it. It is .58 cal. with SN- 7238, anyone know if this is a Texas Rifle?
I swapped out the factory sights for some a little less primitive. I have not taken it to the range yet but hope to sometime this year.
enjoy, DaveView attachment 148494
Looks great, how does it shoot

remember you snooze you loose!. it is called waiters remorse! I shoulder - couder- woulda ,DONE IT!

I posted this earlier on April1,2022 and thought you might enjoy the earlier story again.

I own the original Allen & Thurber rifle that Bill Mowrey used to copy for his “Mowrey” rifle. i had dropped it off at his gun shop in Jacksboro, Texas In early 1964. It had (and still has) a broken sear spring so I left it to be replaced. Well, time went by and every time I checked it was not fixed. Finally, right before I graduated from TCU in Fort Worth I stopped by to pick it up. Bill then showed me what he had been up to. He had made perfect wooden patterns of all the action parts and intended to start manufacturing them. He was a retired tool and die maker so this was not new territory for him. Did a nice job. Though the original is all cast iron he chose to use brass since it’s much easier to cast. He changed the forend—the original is a skinny iron casting. And he changed the buttplate—the original is a strange schutzen style cast from iron. Other than that it’s a pretty darn good copy. I told him he owed me a new rifle as royalty…..I’m still waiting…..

He made his own barrels in the shop, drilling and hand rifling them right there. Walnut was from flooded trees he salvaged from Lake Bridgeport and cut himself. He made everything himself. Not sure where he had the brass castings made but think it may have been in nearby Wichita Falls.

God rest his soul….
Flintsteel, thanks for posting this history. I remember seeing ads for Mowry rifles in the gun magazines when I was young in the 1970s. Their wood always looked so good. When I got out of the Navy and started a family in the 1990s, they still were there. So I contacted the company and was very pleased with their direct price, something like $289 or if you wanted extra fancy wood, an extra $30. I bought one and still have it, shot it a lot. I do not agree with the occasional naysayer, these are very simple rifles with almost no moving parts. If something breaks (unlikely), it's going to be easy for any gunsmith in any town to fix. Plus they made them for like 40 years straight. I've had mine going on 25 years now.

49710496417_d5c1e9eb01_b.jpg

Last edited:
I have a .50 Mowery Bi Centenial marked barrel ,Texas Stamped. Is there any interest? also have a new spare main spring. Gun is in very good condition.

I have a .50 Mowery Bi Centenial marked barrel ,Texas Stamped. Is there any interest? also have a new spare main spring. Gun is in very good condition.
I think there would be a good deal of interest. If you would like to show it off, by all means do so. I didn't know they made a bicentennial model. Why not take some photos and post them?

If you are thinking of selling, there would no doubt be some interest in that, also. Decide on a price, figure out how to pack and ship it, and then post it with a clear description and photographs in the forum classifieds. I'm sure this thread has piqued the interest of a lot of forum members, and now would be a great time to sell, while interest is high.

Best regards,

Notch Bob

Good evening all,

New member here. I’ve recently began an extensive search to find any and all information relating to Mowrey Gun Works, more specifically production period 1965-1974, Olney, Texas. My grandfather, James Donald “Don” Cope, was a machinist who had purchased Mowrey in the early-mid 60’s and moved produced from Iowa Park to Olney at some point thereafter. He died after an accident at the shop in 1974, long before I was ever able to meet him so I’m determined to get my hands on as many Mowreys that were built by his hands.

I’m interested in acquiring any and all pre 1974 productions Mowrey’s if anyone has leads on any for sale.

Thanks
- Cody

Good evening all,

New member here. I’ve recently began an extensive search to find any and all information relating to Mowrey Gun Works, more specifically production period 1965-1974, Olney, Texas. My grandfather, James Donald “Don” Cope, was a machinist who had purchased Mowrey in the early-mid 60’s and moved produced from Iowa Park to Olney at some point thereafter. He died after an accident at the shop in 1974, long before I was ever able to meet him so I’m determined to get my hands on as many Mowreys that were built by his hands.

I’m interested in acquiring any and all pre 1974 productions Mowrey’s if anyone has leads on any for sale.

Thanks
- Cody

Howdy Cody.
My good friend bought Bill Mowrey's last shop and residence and operates out on it today. It's in Wichita Falls.
I met Bill a few times. Thursday used to be "old farts" day; they'd gather about 9 in Bill's shop and talk guns until about 11, then head to The Branding Iron BBQ for lunch.
Bill Mowrey, Ken Adair, Pat Hamilton, Freddy Johle, Jim Whittenburg and a few others. And the kid, me.

I've often heard the story of your grandfather's demise. I'm sorry for your loss.

I was told Bill decided on the Thurber and Allen so he could make every piece of the action. I know where many of Bill's molds are for casting his actions. They can't be had for love or money. I've begged to make a run of the action parts, I've been told it's not happening.

I have it on good authority Bill made less than 500 T&A guns, the exact number escapes me. His skills lie in machinist work, not business, which was his downfall. I have an Orion barrel from his shop.
I've driven by the old shop in Olney many times, nothing to tell that some nice guns were made there.

I have had three Mowrey rifles, two .45 cal. rifles, and one .50 cal., fool hardy traded them away.
The little . 45 rifle was very accurate, pleasant to shoot. And with the iron butt plate, iron action, and ++P walnut stock and forearm it was a beauty to behold.
Can't remember what I traded for, probably a box of nuts&bolts and a bottle of rum. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
But I have cussed myself ever since. Those were class rifles.
But their weak spot, was the main spring. Not insurmountable, but it was a problem.

I have a steel framed one in .54. Shoots real sweet. Only markings are the caliber and serial number.

Attachments

• 20220625_130540.jpg
    20220625_130540.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220625_130629.jpg
    20220625_130629.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Good evening all,

Thanks
- Cody

As requested:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/946986100

I bid to $200.00 but I'll stop in deference to you since I have one already. Sorry, that one stays in my family.

Back