• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NEW TO BP SHOOTING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have experience with that projectile, but it looks like a good place to start. I shoot round balls and REALs (look em up) but I only shoot the lightest loads that will work for targets at less than 100 mts, so I'm not the best person to be talking to.

I started out the same as you and just maybe I can save you a little frustration. The following has been my experience. It is a whole new ball game you are playing…..

The TC Hawkin is a good gun to start with, i love my renegade but it's no good for precision at more than 100 yds. But, to be fair I have never seriously tried.

As others have said before me, round ball is best considered a short range, by your standards, projectile.
.After about 100 yds they tend to wander off, and develop a trajectory like a golf ball.

I play a guitar and thought I could change over to a banjo easily. I did it, and my previous experience with strings helped a lot because I knew what I was trying to do, but it was not as easy as I thought it would be.
Persist and you'll get where you wanna go.
It's all good fun mate:thumb:
:thumb:

Your Renegade is not much different than his Hawken. The Hawken has a couple inches longer barrel and a thinner (15/16ths compared to 1” across the flats) The Renegade butt plate is flatter and generally better for handling heavy recoil than the Hawken. Otherwise, rifling, ignition and factory sights are identical one to the other. Both are capable of fine accuracy much farther than 100 yards. Go on! You know you want to!!! ;-)

HELLO to all you cap and ball shooters. I've been a center fire shooter and reloader for over 60 years and shoot my 300 rum out to a mile. just bought a T/C 50 Hawken on line from a add in a state publication from Idaho, my brother lived close to the seller so he is picking it up and shipping to me. the serial number on the barrel is 5 digits 85xxx. spent the better part of yesterday and today reading posts here to gain a little knowledge about this sport. I really enjoy and appreciate the knowledge you guys have and willfully share. my question is - what would be a good load to use to reach out to 200 to 400 yards? I gave up hunting several years ago and now shoot paper and steel, I'm fortunate to have a 600 yard range at home.
You might want to check out my channel.

https://m.youtube.com/user/idahoron?pbjreload=10

Yes I did, another member mentioned it. Very informative, appreciate the knowledge you share. May i reach out to you with questions that may arise after i begin shooting?

Using the standard barrel sights of a Hawken.....you're gonna have to 'study real hard' the sights to learn how to hold to shoot a decent group at 200 yards....much less 400 yards! And by 'study real hard' I don't mean by holding over and blocking out the view of your target! RB ain't mean for long range work!

. . . . just bought a T/C 50 Hawken on line . . . my question is - what would be a good load to use to reach out to 200 to 400 yards? I gave up hunting several years ago and now shoot paper and steel, I'm fortunate to have a 600 yard range at home.
Sorry can't help with the specifics of the rifle you have, but do have a lot of experience competing at long range (out to 1200 yards) with muzzle loading match rifles and out to 600 yards with military muzzle loading rifle. I have a lot of historical information and articles on the sport today on my web site. See - Long Range Muzzle Loading

David

Using the standard barrel sights of a Hawken.....you're gonna have to 'study real hard' the sights to learn how to hold to shoot a decent group at 200 yards....much less 400 yards! And by 'study real hard' I don't mean by holding over and blocking out the view of your target! RB ain't mean for long range work!
I believe he’s aware and planning to use a bullet for his target shooting. Along with sights designed for the purpose. @CWKNOX do keep us posted as you go along…

Sorry can't help with the specifics of the rifle you have, but do have a lot of experience competing at long range (out to 1200 yards) with muzzle loading match rifles and out to 600 yards with military muzzle loading rifle. I have a lot of historical information and articles on the sport today on my web site. See - Long Range Muzzle Loading

David
thanks for sharing, good info.

Back