• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moving sightes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannehill

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a CVA Kentucky in.45 percussion, planning to deer hunt with it this year.

When I have shot it, it shoots high about 2 inches and to the right about 4-5 inches. High I can handle, to move to the left, do I move rear site to the right ?
New problem as all three of my other BP rifles are dead on.
Thanks,

I have a CVA Kentucky in.45 percussion, planning to deer hunt with it this year.

When I have shot it, it shoots high about 2 inches and to the right about 4-5 inches. High I can handle, to move to the left, do I move rear site to the right ?
New problem as all three of my other BP rifles are dead on.
Thanks,
You have good direction so far. Here is a little help so you dont over correct. Sight Correction Calculator
Plug in your numbers and this calc will give you the dimensions of correction.
Larry

2 Shots is correct. (FORS) Front Opposite Rear Same . This is what we learned in boot camp.

OMG!
If you want the group to move left, move the rear sight left.
If you want the group to move to the right, move the rear sight right.
It IS confusing because the info is counter intuitive;
Folks think my group is printing to the right,, then someone tells them to move the rear sight in the same direction, get it?
But you what you want/should do is move the rear sight in the direction you need to move the shot group.
Not in the direction the group is!

So "FORS" applies. (in the direction you want the shot group to move)
Front sights usually only need to be moved with a new install or build, and only when the range of adjustment of the rear isn't near it's center.
I have changed rear sights and front blades on new to me guns for personal use, and it can take some shooting to get them dialed in so that the rear will offer me windage adjustments in the field. Once the front is in good position, I'll lightly stake it with a pin-punch.

Rear sight drifted to the left around 1/16" will move POI around 4 1/2" at 50 yards . Scribe a small line on sight and barrel for reference point before moving. Another option is to split the difference 1/32" right on the front sight and 1/32" left on the rear. Same outcome.

Shooting high is its own problem, when it is impacting low, you can file a little off of your front sight blade and that will raise your impact. You may need a new front sight blade to get you zero'd in.

You have good direction so far. Here is a little help so you dont over correct. Sight Correction Calculator
Plug in your numbers and this calc will give you the dimensions of correction.
Larry
I like that calculator....very helpful. I have used an estimator for years where the sight radius (distance between front and rear sights)....is about 36"....a change of 1/100" equals a change of 1"@100yds.....if the sight radius is less, the amount of movement from a 1/100th" change is greater....its all proportional.

Latest posts

Back