• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moving front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetrapper

32 Cal
Reaction score
My NSW trade gun was a kit that someone put together. The sight is a brass turtle. It's not on the top of the barrel. I have to move it a little more than half the width of the sight base to the right. I can solder pipes but I have never tried something like this. Looking for information on how to do this.

Already soldered on it will be ‘tinned’. Hit it with the torch lightly till it slips. Move it off, or lay barrel on its side and let it fall off.
Lay flat, lightly sand area you want it, flux, lay sight in place clamp feather heat till solder flows let cool remove clamp.
For small piece I do like the solder in a tube.

A54FE816-11C6-4037-BA24-81AD3B482D6E.jpeg
31365D15-706F-4BAA-BC92-23B8EE3BDA79.jpeg

Tenngun,

How do you apply the solder?

If the piece is not already tinned, do you apply a
small amount too each piece , heat then clamp the two together and reheat?
Or just put a small amount on one piece and clamp together and apply heat?

The reason I’m asking is, I tried putting some on both pieces( a front sight blade on a dovetail piece) and when I clamped the two together and applied the heat
the solder bubbles out and required a fair amount of filing too remove the excess...

Maybe I just used too much to start with, I’m just wanting to know how others do it successfully . Thanks

My NSW trade gun was a kit that someone put together. The sight is a brass turtle. It's not on the top of the barrel. I have to move it a little more than half the width of the sight base to the right. I can solder pipes but I have never tried something like this. Looking for information on how to do this.
Some real good advice so far, but me personally, I have trouble with a clamp. It don't fit, or is too big. I use a light wire to tie in place. That way for me, the heat all goes to the job. Just another thought. Good luck
Flintlocklar

I couldn't find it anywhere either. Ordered from Track so itlit be a few days before I can do this project.

FYI from my expierience i think it’s best not too use a lot of paste...

The stuff kinda’ fuses up and bubbles when it reaches temperature .

The way I soldered the front sight onto my round barreled smoothbore was. I laid the sight upside down in a vice that was open just wide enough for the blade to slip in. I heated the base of the sight. then laid some solder onto the base and when it melted into a thin film, I let it cool. I then placed the sight onto the barrel in the proper position and just held it in place with finger pressure while wearing a fire resistant glove on the top of the sight to keep it from moving. Then heated the base until I could see solder, then removed the heat, let it cool then was good to go. Just be warned that if planning to brown the barrel make sure no solder is visible around the sight as the browning solution will not brown solder.

I made a "C" clamp for sights. I welded a piece of 1/2 in. angle to the stationary part of the C clamp, and filed a deep groove in the anvil attached to the screw. The V of the angle iron is put on the bottom of the barrel, and the blade of the sight is placed in the groove with the solder placed in between . you will have to hold the sight straight while tightening the clamp. I ground an old pair of needle nose pliers real thin to grip the sight and hold it straight.

I used a regular C clamp and the solder paste.This way you can tap the sight or lug to make an adjustment if it is not perfectly straight. I use the silver solder paste, I bought it off eBay.

soldering on a lug.jpg

silver solder paste.jpg

Back