• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moving front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again Tenngun, I didn’t know if the Ace solder paste was low temp like what I got from Track or not...

Octagonal breech area of the barrel? If so, opull the barrel out of the stock and lay the breach area onto the octagon that is the top flat on a large flat table. Then rest the area where the front sight should be onto the edge of a three-cornered or triangular file that is perpendicular to the barrel. Slide the file fore & aft ... PRESTO ... there’s your centerline.

That is a great idea. My solder came in yesterday but I had to work all weekend. I'll try that method tomorrow.

This really should go in the Builder's Bench area but since it is here I'll add a few points about soldering.

Both surfaces that are going to be joined together MUST be absolutely free of any oil or wax and they must be bare metal with no bluing/browning on them.

If the solder doesn't have flux in it, apply the flux to both clean surfaces. Rosin flux that is used for electrical wiring will not work on steel parts. Get a flux that is made for soldering steel.

If your using a torch to heat the metal DO NOT direct the flame directly at the area where the parts are to be joined. The flame should never be closer than 2 inches from the joint.

Slowly heat the largest part and let the part conduct the heat to the joint. You will know the melting has happened when you see the shiny solder appear at the edge of the joint.

Do not move the parts that are being soldered until the whole area has cooled several hundred degrees.

Back