• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mountain Man from NC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess back in the day most would have had store bought clothes or Native made skins if they wintered with the locals.

Here in NC I haven't had allot of contact with anyone that actually even tries to honor the past by attempting to relive it.

The only thing in my photos I'm embarassed of is the "DEW" bottle. Doubt any of our forefathers had anything near as sweet as that to drink.

What am I saying, they had home-made hootch!

Don't worry y'all, a few folks with nothing more to do than criticize ain't going to run this old Ranger off. There's nothing they can say.

Keep your powder dry and watch your topknot; especially you boys out west.

Thanks brother, good to be here. Looks like a good place to have some down to earth fun. m.

BigDog, I've been around a while, not here, but durn near everywhere else. If I let a little ignorance hurt my feelings I wouldn't be much of a man.

Thanks kindly for your welcome and comments. Just remember about these others; you can't fix stupid!

Keep your powder dry and watch your topknot. m.

Hey partner, thanks for the kind words about my kit. I know it's probably not historically accurate, but heck, for a Flatlander I think I did pretty good.

Keep your powder dry and watch your topknot.

Hell 309......I thought the 'DEW' bottle was an original 18th century!!!........[I was going to go get one to put in my "Non-Haversack"] LOL....Welcome to the site!
Macon

After all the gufaw I was considering making a buckskin cover for it so I could carry it to my first event. I could find a cork to stick in the opening and nobody would know the difference!

Keep your powder dry and watch your topknot. m.

Very nice buckskinning garb. You will fit in well at the Eastern Primitive Rendevous in Virgina going on now , not far from the Carolina line. You ought to try and attend. They have visitor's days this weekend if you just want to stop in... but wear your gear. Entry is about 5 bucks.

I may just take you up on that offer. I just recently stopped working making knives. Couldn't keep up with the demand; health issues.

Sure do miss it though. I kept a few blades and every time I see one the itch comes right back.

Thanks for your welcome and kind words. m.

http://epr2011.org/

It's going to be a huge event with about 1500 campers and over 90 sutlers. Heck, just make it a big shopping trip :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually was going to go, but my gear isn't complete enough to deal with the foul weather forcast for the weekend.

Have a good time for the both of us. You can send me some photos next week. m.

I agree whole-heartedly. I've got the woodsmoke part down as these are smoked braintans, but the dirt I have yet to get in to.

I was going to Va. this weekend, but I had to wuss out due to my heart condition.

I gotta tell you, being like this really fracks.

I'd hate to do the "ignore" thing to someone. We all have our opinions and nothing anyone says to me (especially someone I don't know) or about me affects me other than to make me laugh.

Regards the materials you asked about. Except for the mocc soles and the liner for the large sheath, its all braintan buckskin (deer).

The moccs and the small possibles pouch are a heavy, oiled and smoked braintan. The shirt, pants, and ALL the tabs on everything are light, smoked braintan buckskin.

The one beaded sheath in front is lined with deer rawhide and covered with hair-on buffalo that I partially beaded.

I tried to use as close as I could the same materials that would have been available to a trapper back in the day.

Right now I'm getting the final touches put together on a buffalo coat. I didn't have a pattern to go by for the coat so I'm having some cutting issues with the collar.

I'll probably never get to wear it around here though; way too warm for a heavy buffalo coat. Maybe I'll sell it to one of you guys?

One more detail. Unfortunately, I did NOT use real sinew for the sewing. That stuff is the most difficult aspect I've run into trying to make this stuff. I've used it, but I really don't like it; especially when I have a huge roll of the fake stuff.

Hell, no one can tell anyway; plus I use metal needles. So I'm not a purist. I'm also not a hypocrite!

Thanks for asking about my stuff. m.

I guess nobody told you, If you have made knives you have to post pictures of them or you will be labeled as a....... :idunno: I don't know what you will be labeled as, but you gotta post some piggers and share your work!

BTW not everybody has a foul attitude around here, I mean, we put up with Swampy, so we cant be all that bad. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back