• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More Flintlock Troubles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of things I disagree with though........I Never want to be 'surprised' by the trigger break. I want to know exactly when it is going to fire. And based on over 50 years of shooting....I feel the very best trigger control is achieved with the 'crease' between the first joint and second of the trigger finger. Much better control and feel than the tip of finger. The rest of his tips/advice sounds pretty good. Just remember ...take all advice and tips with a grain of salt and find out for yourself.
Macon

BRAS is a very good practice and firing method,,I would add, useing the wooden flint, put a black sticky dot on a mirror and dry fire aiming at the dot, you will see your flinch..

Luie, sounds like when firing offhand, you maybe useing your sights differently than off the bench.
Consistancy is the key. Good Luck

God Bless

Lee

As a clarification to the 'surprise'. It means as the rifle goes off that you are not anticipating the action. Many people 'flinch' because of the jerk of the finger, the anticipation of the 'bang' and for flints/caplocks the flash of the rifle. When concentrating solely on the aim point, squeezing the trigger then the 'bang' is always a surprise from the concentration.
Many do prefer the trigger in the crease but then again I was shooting at very discriminating 'targets' too! :patriot:
So I preferred the fingertip. To each their own too!! :thumbsup: This is also the reason I LOVE double triggers.

Good Luck!

Cheers, DonK

Maybe not all of us are meant for flint,

This is true. Everybody isn't a Daniel Boon and so what?

I think you know how to shoot already. But the more you practice the better you can get. Not all of us are World Class target shooters but we still have fun shooting flintlocks. Keep practicing.

Luie, I think you have percussion guns, no?

If so, have you tried just capping them and firing the cap at your 30 yard archery target? If not, try it and see how (if) you flinch with it.

I might recommend that you stoke that flintlock up with some stout hunting loads for awhile. Then, go back to your target/plinking load and will seem like an air rifle in comparison.

Just an idea. :idunno:

Skychief.

fyrfyter43 said:
Cut a wooden "flint" and use it for dry-fire practice at home.
Actually, I don't see the sense of whittlin' a wooden flint. Some of the flinch factor comes from the fear of the flash. When I want to "play" with my Kentucky's or my Hawken, I'll put a light load in the pan and Poof Fire it a couple of times. Since I'm not putting anything down the barrel, I usually do it in my room. :wink: It makes my room smell like a shootin' range. :grin: Anyone can dry fire with a wood flint and lose a flinch that would cause them to miss the target, but as soon as they go to live fire and squeeze the trigger and realize that a fire will be inches from their face, there just may be a new flinch. If you can understand what I'm saying. Practice as close to real conditions as possible. And yes, my Hawken is a flintlock. :grin:

did not read all the post but I reduced my flinch at home by puting powder in the lock and firing it. About 3 weeks of 10 or so firings every night after work finaly got me being surprized by the flash.

Oddly enough, I flinch less with my flinter then any of my modern guns. I think because I am more conscious of the follow through and the fact that once in a while you are going to have a klatch does it.
Just practice. You might want to go lighter on your loads too.

Back