• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Offhand shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am having a problem shooting offhand with my new 20ga Fowler.
From the bench, I can keep all my balls in a 4” square block. That’s at 25 yards , using .600 ball, .018 patch and 65gr fffg. Of course I did put a homemade rear sight on it, helped a bunch.
My problem is offhand shooting, same target, same gun, same load, same range! Everything is off to the right side, sometimes a foot right! The elevation seems fine most of the time, but everything is to the right of the target. Shot 20-25 rounds today and am getting frustrated.
I am fairly new to flintlock shooting, but not new to shooting at all.
Any ideas?

One could call it a flinch, or you are making an intentional movement as you pull the trigger your left hand is pushing the barrel to the right. Maybe lifting your cheek from the stock to look for the impact and get around the smoke. Follow through, follow through, follow through. Wait for the smoke to clear.

With my fusil I group very consistently offhand but my POI completely changes when off a bench. Not having a rear sight for me means that holding it differently I.e. offhand and over a bench can itself change your POI. Not necessarily a flinch issue, though that may be the case.

Do you notice the flash and a delay between the pan and ignition?

No, the hold position is probably not it, I do have a homemade rear sight. I probably just need more practice. What is confusing is all my shots are going right? I would assume I am holding it wrong?

Attachments

• EF366668-93A7-412F-8752-AEB72569A80C.jpeg
    EF366668-93A7-412F-8752-AEB72569A80C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I am having a problem shooting offhand with my new 20ga Fowler.
From the bench, I can keep all my balls in a 4” square block. That’s at 25 yards , using .600 ball, .018 patch and 65gr fffg. Of course I did put a homemade rear sight on it, helped a bunch.
My problem is offhand shooting, same target, same gun, same load, same range! Everything is off to the right side, sometimes a foot right! The elevation seems fine most of the time, but everything is to the right of the target. Shot 20-25 rounds today and am getting frustrated.
I am fairly new to flintlock shooting, but not new to shooting at all.
Any ideas?
Try this. Pull your support arm back to the front or top of trigger guard contacting the open palm of your hand which is pointed at the target and put the elbow of the support arm against your torso or belly . You should be facing the target at about a 45 degree angle to the side. The front of the gun is only supported not held by the support arm hand palm.
Now do your normal focus on front sight , center or six o'clock on target and squeeze off the shot holding the sight picture until the recoil takes it out of focus.

Make a wood flint and put it in the cock.

Find a place in your house where you can see well in the light.

Practice shooting at one of your light switches and watch your sight. Continue dry firing until your sight does not move off the light switch. Do this for ten (10) minutes each day. This should help with your problem.

The more I dwell on this I am pretty sure I just need more practice, burn some powder and cast some more round balls. I do not have this problem with percussion, of unmentionable guns, just the flintlock. But thats OK, I love this flintlock shooting, and I will do what I need to get better. I better buy some more powder!

Attachments

• 2A7E9662-7067-4C2A-96C7-682C76B4901E.jpeg
    2A7E9662-7067-4C2A-96C7-682C76B4901E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
You may be anticipating the flash and leaning into the rifle. Try some dry firing using a target on the wall and a wood flint. Shoot with both eyes open so you can see where the barrel is pointed in relation to your target after you pull the trigger. Followthrough is critical with a flintlock. Try to hold on the target for at least one second after the gun fires. You might also have a friend video you from the side and rear when shooting to see if your hold and followthrough are steady.

No, the hold position is probably not it, I do have a homemade rear sight. I probably just need more practice. What is confusing is all my shots are going right? I would assume I am holding it wrong?
I don't know if it's the hold, but if you're noticing the flash or noticing that there is a delay between that and the gun going bang it is probably a sign of flinching.

I know for me if I think geez that was a bit of a delay, I wasn't focussing on the target and I probably didn't hit it.

Pulling can be a good sign of flinching too.

Just keep at it mate

I'd bet it is your shoulder position and shoulder pressure. Sitting vs. standing changes the angle/plane of the triangle formed between your cheek (the sight on a smoothie with no rear sight), your shoulder, and your forward support hand. That is why a rifle sighted in for you ... may be way off for someone else shooting it.

FWIW, with all my rifles, MZLs and others, if I want to best replicate 'bench' conditions and have the sights dead on whilst offhand shooting ... I perform the final sighting in (once 'the' load is selected) from the sitting position, leaning against a back support. Works for me!

Absoroka’s comment about follow through or holding on the target is critical with offhand shooting. I sometimes find my shots go to the right and down if I get fatigued shooting offhand. I attribute it to relaxing as soon as I pull the trigger.
Focus on WHERE that front sight is ... when the trigger breaks and all the way through the shot! Also learn to call your shots or know when you were moving high left or throwing it out wide.

Try a trap clay bird stance for off hand shooting. This stance works because the body swings at the waste ,and all the rest is forced to stay in position on the sights. ........If right handed , do this...... 1.Put your left hand foreward on the forearm of the gun , and solidly grip the gun and press the butt plate into your shoulder. .....2. Put right hand on the wrist w/finger on the trigger. .......3. Here's the magic......Raise your right elbow out at a right angle , so your right arm is 90 degrees to the right side of your body. The right arm position locks your head on the cheek rest of the gun , naturally. Any movement is accomplished at the waste , and not around the neck , and head , where flinching happens. I was trained to use this shooting trap by a professional coach at age 14.
I have shot in offhand m/l competitions during the late 1970's and 80"s. Every long gun of every type , I used this position , 60+ yrs. with good success. .........Until your left eye succumbs to a typical bad retina , try to shoot w/both eyes open. Moving targets are easier to hit with the better depth perception , that both eyes open engenders.................oldwood

Back