• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Offhand shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After practicing all week with a wooden flint, I went to the range today to see if I had any improvement. Mixed results, but I think I’m getting closer.
I shot three shots at the bottom target first, 4” square at 25 yards. The forend resting in my hand, on a sandbag. Not bad, last shot dead center.
Then I went offhand and it went to sh-t real quick. Everything low this time. Although the last three were touching but 3-4” low but centered.
load was 75gr. FFG Goex, .600 RBI’s with .018 patch.
I did notice that the last three shots that are touching I remembered to hold my right thumb alongside and parallel to the tang. I do have a crude rear sight which I can file down if necessary. I think I better do some more dry firing!
I tend to not hold my fusil on target once I pull the trigger which consistently moves the shot to the right. When I hold through the pan flash and concentrate on the hold and the front sight I can shoot consistent two and a half inch groups at twenty five yards. It has taken me four years to get there but I still don't always hold hold hold when I pull the trigger. I know how but have not been shooting enough!
You will get there too!
LBL

If you want accuracy....get a rifle!
Yep!

Back in the day people transitioned from smoothbores to rifles for better accuracy, some want to go the other way.

That being said, my Caywood is the most accurate smoothbore in the group I hang with.... but not as accurate as my rifles.

If it works for you… 👍

19468E54-9195-412E-A441-23E699ED2E87.jpeg

Last edited:
With my fusil I group very consistently offhand but my POI completely changes when off a bench. Not having a rear sight for me means that holding it differently I.e. offhand and over a bench can itself change your POI. Not necessarily a flinch issue, though that may be the case.

Do you notice the flash and a delay between the pan and ignition?
If I am sighting in what will be an off hand gun I set the bench up differently. Instead of resting the gun at the muzzle the rest will be placed where I will be holding the gun with my left hand when shooting offhand. The rest will also be a lot higher off the bench so that I can place my check on the stock in the same place it will be when shooting offhand. You don't want to be getting up over the comb of the stock .

I tried to read all 5 pages of posts but may have missed something. I learned to shoot flintlocks offhand 45 years ago and basically had to train my mind to not move from the target until the gun recoil moved me off. That taught me to ignore the trigger pull reaction and the pan flash.

The other thing I worked on was learned from shooting military .22 training rifles offhand with aperture sights. Take your aim offhand and close your eyes for 10 seconds. Open them and see if your aim has moved. Adjust your stance until you can do that and not move. Offhand shooting is an acquired skill and takes practice. Good luck.

Back