• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modern shotgun barrel conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering if anyone has built a smoothbore out of a modern shotgun barrel 12 or 20 gauge? Don't know how the modern steel and wall thickness would work. Just curious because I'm sure someone has tried it. Input please.
took an old jammer sxs and made brass plugs 1” long for chamber then drilled and pinned them in place amd also silver solder them so they could not be taken out .
I also cut the stock down to just a pistol grip amd cut the barrels to 12“ .
Uses shotgun primers .
pistol grip is a bit to straight for good handling.
but it is cool to take out and play with.

Not to offend anyone, I guess when I started this thread I should have put "has anyone ever taken a modern or antique shotgun barrel put a breech plug in it and built a flintlock trade style gun" didn't mean for anyone to go off on tangents about 209 primer modifications and which powder is better. I did get one post that hit the nail on the head, post #20. I was just looking for what other people have done and the ways that they did it. Thanks to all who responded for all the input it was interesting. If there is anyone out there that has built a trade style flintlock please share your do's and don'ts about it. Thanks
BZ

This reminds me that I have a vent rib 20 ga that I need to cut the tang off an make a breech plug.

I will fit it to an underhammer receiver.
BUH1w.jpg

I may have to try and make one of these.

Last edited:
?? does a p.r.b. in a rifled barrel create more pressure than a shot load in a smoothbore???:dunno:
This old Chesnut ! with equal powder charge how can a prb be more stress full than shot ?The ball only bears on it periphery and say its an ounce cant stress more than the same gun loaded with shot which generally exceeds the 1 once typically 1& a quarter once . when the gases hit it the shot is force together creating much more fiction . so stress the barrel more . If you doubt that may I suggest you place a wad in the muzzle and try force down the shot charge you place on the wad ..Then you will see its gripping propensity .And when you pick the shot from your rabbit pie you will find its corns flatted where it bore on the walls & dimpled where it was jambed into the other corns or pellets ...

Yes old BL doubles said 'Not for ball'. but that's because the chokes then coming more into use would be suddenly hit with more pressure or be an obstacle . Yet not withstanding such fear the Hollands 'Paradox" guns had rifling at the muzzle so by design you could go out after Quaile but in some regions run into large game like the poor Tigers when apon you need only carry a few solids in case. (Saves all the mess your bearers have to clean up ) as for using modern barrels for black fine by me such as the Harrington & Richardson ,Cooey, Greener GPs, ect knockabout single 'farmers guns ' made stout I cant see any problem Ime looking for 16 bore tubes my self .
Rudyard's Take on the Matter

Back