• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modern shotgun barrel conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking the same. I figured that was what I would use for the time being until I bought a real deal muzzleloader made specifically for my needs.

Anthony
Probably has to do with lawsuits and the lack of ability to put the small amount of powder needed into the bottom of the barrel reliably and evenly under the shot cup. Black powder is much more forgiving.

Somebody might try using fast pistol powder and try to blame it on the adapter when they're barrel explodes.

Probably has to do with lawsuits and the lack of ability to put the small amount of powder needed into the bottom of the barrel reliably and evenly under the shot cup. Black powder is much more forgiving.

Somebody might try using fast pistol powder and try to blame it on the adapter when they're barrel explodes.
That is a very good point. I wouldn’t have to worry about anything but BP because that’s all that is have. I’m now thinking of at least trying it just as a stopgap between purchases. I have enough 209 primers to make it a worthwhile purchase. I would eventually like to have the real deal BP shotty, smoothie or what ever the terms we use for them. I just want one.
Anthony

Anyone else ever think of making a half-stock muzzleloader with a vent-rib barrel turned upside-down?

I like the concept of using a modern shotgun barrel for a muzzleloader because it will be thin, light, choked, and made of good steel.

By the time you pay for the barrel you want and find and pay someone to breech it, you might as well just get a new muzzleloading shotgun barrel. If you can do the work yourself it may be worth it. I had a very nice set of French 16 gauge breech loading barrels. No one would breech them, found one gunsmith who would do it for $ 400…. I just sold them to a friend.

The great thing about using a modern NEF/HR barrel and threaded breech plug with 209 nipple is that you can use modern smokeless powder to run that sucker without fear of it blowing up.
I don’t think i would do that. I’m sure it’s for BP or Pyrodex only. Some one correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m sure not going to advocate doing that at all!

Anthony

I don’t think i would do that. I’m sure it’s for BP or Pyrodex only. Some one correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m sure not going to advocate doing that at all!

Anthony
Modern barrels run on smokeless powder. And they don't blow up.

A muzzleloader with a modern barrel can absolutely run on smokeless powder.

I've been doing it for more than a decade. Dozens of dead deer.

Using smokeless powder is the only reason to build a muzzleloader using a modern barrel.

Using smokeless powder also means you can shorten that barrel considerably and you'll have a very Handi bushwhacker gun.

what flowers do you like?
I made one from an H&R .45-70 barrel.

.400 diameter bullets and .45 petroleum-based bullet koozies.

It's perfectly safe. And it allows for a fouled bore without fear of rusting the bore. No cold/clean bore flyers. Mo betta for hunting Bambi.

Folks need to stop equating modern steel/modern powder with muzzleloader steel/muzzleloader powder.

PS: All H&R/NEF barrels have 1.115 breeches. You can build damn near anything with a breech that size.

Last edited:
Anyone else ever think of making a half-stock muzzleloader with a vent-rib barrel turned upside-down?

I like the concept of using a modern shotgun barrel for a muzzleloader because it will be thin, light, choked, and made of good steel.
And because it's a modern barrel you can feed it modern propellant.

OK. remington 700 M
1696379734329.png
1696379866814.png

I'm sorry, but that picture proves nothing.

Could have been a double charge of Magnumitis.

I base my opinions on what I personally built and still shoot.

Modern barrels run on smokeless powder. And they don't blow up.

A muzzleloader with a modern barrel can absolutely run on smokeless powder.

I've been doing it for more than a decade. Dozens of dead deer.

Using smokeless powder is the only reason to build a muzzleloader using a modern barrel.

Using smokeless powder also means you can shorten that barrel considerably and you'll have a very Handi bushwhacker gun.
If that works for you then that’s fine. I’m going to be very conservative and play it very safe and say that’s a hard NO for me. I’ll stick with the BP.

Anthony

If that works for you then that’s fine. I’m going to be very conservative and play it very safe and say that’s a hard NO for me. I’ll stick with the BP.

Anthony
Then there's no reason whatsoever to seek out a modern barrel for a build.

It's a waste of time and money just to fill it with black powder or substitutes.

I don't understand why so many people are afraid of using smokeless powder in a barrel that is made to use smokeless powder . You should be able to use the same powder and the same amount that you would use to reload a shell for the gun in question if it were still a non mentionable . The pressure will be the same.

I don't understand why so many people are afraid of using smokeless powder in a barrel that is made to use smokeless powder . You should be able to use the same powder and the same amount that you would use to reload a shell for the gun in question if it were still a non mentionable . The pressure will be the same.
Timidity.

I looked at the adapter and read the info it says black or sub only no smokeless .If it is a barrel for smokeless it seems you could use smokeless powder in it .Just seems odd to me
Because, even in shotguns, the cartridge case plays a role in mitigating breech thrust. With out a cartridge case - with smokeless powder - you could exceed design parameters of the rest of the firearm. Things like the underlug and latch on single shots, bolt lugs on bolt actions / pumps / semi-autos.

What exactly are we even arguing here? I'm cornfuzzled.

My point was a modern barrel is going to be much better than the iron pipe profiles that most available ML shotgun barrels and stronger to boot. I don't know how many of you have ever bought a Colerain barrel but the several I've seen look like they were drilled out with a dull twist bit and not even reamed. Not to mention the walls are thick as a sewer pipe and half-octagon flats aren't tapered at all and extend way too far forward. They mount and handle like a B.A.R. on account of it. If you want sleek and thin, yet sturdy and thick at the breech end, then a modern smokeless powder shotgun barrel is a great basis. Even the cheap ones have a bore polished like a mirror for handling Nylon wads with minimal fouling. Supreme quality, half the cost. What's not to love?

Latest posts

Back