• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML Season Support Options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahquamenon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Articap made an excellent observation on the last traditional support base thread.

Maybe there just needs to be a clear distinction made between the 2 different strategies:

Option 1. Working to ban non-traditional muzzle loaders and/or components by redefining all current regulations to some to be determined agreed upon definition.

or

Option 2. Working to establish new traditional (or primitive) muzzle loader seasons and special hunts to some to be determined agreed upon definition without trying to change any current regulations.

I'll start by supporting Option 2 - New Traditional/Primitive seasons.

I do not support either one, as to the reasons why:

I think that defining a traditional season versus a modern muzzleloading threatens to foster the "them and us" syndrome among shooters. There is enough of a problem with the shooting sports and the support of them from the general public. I think this issue should go the same way as the bow-hunting community, which is everyone stick together. IF you want to seperate muzzleloaders hunters into 2 groups than the bow-hunters will want the same thing, stick bow versus compound. What about the cartridge shooters, rifles versus pistols. What about rifle hunters not wanting muzzleloaders hunting in their season. Our seasons in Florida are divided in so many ways, with so many other restrictions as to numbers, drawings, WMA's, restricted areas, special hunts and one thing after another. I just want to be able to hunt the season with whatever I need to carry for that season, archery, muzzleloader, or general gun, without having to worry if my gun is politically correct for that area or time!

Please don't delete this post, it follows the guidelines of the original question:
Maybe there just needs to be a clear distinction made between the 2 different strategies:

Option 1. Working to ban non-traditional muzzle loaders and/or components by redefining all current regulations to some to be determined agreed upon definition.

or

Option 2. Working to establish new traditional (or primitive) muzzle loader seasons and special hunts to some to be determined agreed upon definition without trying to change any current regulations.

The reasons why I believe it is preferable to work to establish new traditional seasons or special hunts is multifold:

1. When it comes to trying to ban modern weapons or components the game agencies themselves have become the traditionalists biggest opposition. At some point in the past, each and every one has studied the issues about whether to allow modern weapons & components and have ruled in favor of them for the most part. Depending on the state, these components include the use of 209 primers, sabots, scopes, adjustable & fiber optic sights, enclosed & unenclosed inline actions (i.e. Mossberg shotgun conversion), fast twist rifled barrels, and smokeless powder & guns in some cases. That

My original post was based on the premis that which way to proceed would be determined at a state by state level Oregon would have to limit the use of modern stuff as there are to few tags to start another hunt, Missouri may have enough deer to start a caplock only and a flintlock only and a stick on a rock only hunt. I do belive that any liberalizing of the "rules" for guns and gear I proposed would make it a moot ppint and there would still be no true traditional season but only a watered down version.

The herd has been pretty much devastated over the last few years. They have about thirty area management hunts run off a lottery each year tho, and that is what we are trying to get a couple of designated primative with reasonable primative rules. This year it is phone check, one buck, unlimited doe tags. The herd isn't going to get better anytime soon.

Back