• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mink Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I know a lot of people use Mink Oil as a patch lube. How many shots can you shoot without swabbing in a 54cal using 100gr Goex FFG and 75gr Goex FFG? I like how it doese not freeze. I have heard of people melting beeswax in with it. What doese that do? What if I added 1/2oz beeswax for 5oz Mink Oil? I am not worried about how messy it is because I would pre-lube patches anyways and every lube is somewhat messy. Muzzleoading is not clean. Where can you get from other than TOTF? I think that is probably the best place.

Can't hlep with the load since I've never used the Mink Oil in a .54. Will add that you should be sure you get the rendered oil sold by Track and perhaps others and not the Mink Oil sold fro shoe regeneration! That stuff has all kinds added in ingrediants that would be rough on a gun's bore. Actually, there are several natural lubes out there including Bumbling Bear Grease from October Country which is a rendered bear oil with bees wax. Have actually used unslated lard which is a good product for lubing patches but may need bees wax to keep it from melting in hot weather.

The beeswax in it will help keep it from running, will help keep it in a solid form. I have not used it(mink). I have used groundhog,bear,deer. I used beeswax in the groundhog, as it stays oil at room temp. At present using deer tallow. I like it because you don't have to do anything to it. Works good, would say the bear could beat it. Deer is easier to get. And does what I need, an don't cost any thing. Works good on leather to. Dilly

I have a whole can of Trappers mink oil patch lube someone gave me. It actually looks more like a paste in the can. I have in the past used bears oil lubed patches with good success, so I'll probably use the mink oil stuff for shoe waterproofing.
Ohio Rusty

i use trappers mink oil and lanotec grease,and shoot all day if there is a little dampness in the air whith no swabing between shots.
bernie :grin
DSC00003.jpg

I shoot a 54 with 110grns of ffg and mink oil.
when I am offhand or bench shooting I swab between shots for consistancy.
When I hunt and I shoot I don't swab I load my second shot from a loading block with a patch lubed with mink oil and have never had a problem loading the second time, I have never needed a second shot so I don't know how a third ball would load but I am sure a little harder.
:hatsoff:

I use TOTW Mink Oil for hunting. If you're shooting 100 grs. of 2F don't expect but a few shots before you need to clean. All day shooting is not the reason for using Mink Oil. If you try to push it too far you will end up with a ball stuck half way down.
If you want to shoot all day without cleaning try some Lehigh Valley.

Back