• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military Heritage India-made Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw several for sale a month ago. I don't know how much they went for. I don't "trek". I don't shoot at "events" so that's irrelevant for me.
The lock would work better. And, you wouldn't have to squint at it just right to tell what it is because it wouldn't look like a cartoon representation.
Would I have a better gun? Yes, of course. It will always retain its value as an antique.
Same reason I buy 100 year old Winchesters and Marlins instead of the new made stuff, hands down better quality and they only go up in value, not immediately down.
When I was little, a hundred years ago meant, 19th century. Now, a hundred years ago is a relatively modern 1923; cars, planes, etc. My house is over a hundred years old and will eventually be torn down, it's not a "collectible" historic house. All things are relative! Just sayin' is all.

Have any of you guys seen the pictures of how these indian guns are made? Guys sitting on a dirt floor filing out parts holding them with their feet. Barrels are made of hydraulic tubing sourced from who knows where.
AND, the guns aren't stocked in teak as everyone says. Google teak and find out about it. this stock wood definitely isn't teak.
Have you ever seen the gun markets in Pakistan ? You would be amazed what a person can build holding the project with his feet.

Did you know suppliers have had their imports shipped to countries requiring proofing and there have been no failures? Did you know domestic barrels are not proofed?
Do the proof houses publish the results of all their tests? Not disputing, just wondering where to find this information, would be interesting.

I don't think modern production requires proofing; I can't imagine some shop or facility where guys are loading and firing muzzle loading black powder gun barrels all day?? Is there even such a thing anymore?

Did you know American barrels are shipped all over the world and proofed … snafu

The barrels may proof however they don’t withstand the test of time and use.
We see antique Indian guns that bring high prices.
But let us compare two barrels. Both smooth.
Side by side they stand the same proof load. But we don’t shoot proof loads, we shoot optimal loads. Far below proof loads.
Smoothies have a wide variety accuracy. But in general fifty yards they shoot small enough to serve most needs. They will both put meat in the freezer.
They will shoot close enough to hit most targets on a woods walk
So these two barrels both shoot the same.
One is Indian, one is perdisoli, or Rice.
How do you say one is better? What is the criteria?

I don’t know what tge wood is on my dog lock. However I know my Centermark is on maple. Real TFC were on French walnut.
Is one better than the other?
My lock was worked on by loyalist arms. It’s smooth,solid and sparks. How is a Chambers or Davis better?
What’s the geometry that’s diffent between a bess lock on an Indian and a bess lock on a perdersoli
Is perdersoli trade gun a closer repro than a loyalist NWG? How do?

We see antique Indian guns that bring high prices.
But let us compare two barrels. Both smooth.
Side by side they stand the same proof load. But we don’t shoot proof loads, we shoot optimal loads. Far below proof loads.
Smoothies have a wide variety accuracy. But in general fifty yards they shoot small enough to serve most needs. They will both put meat in the freezer.
They will shoot close enough to hit most targets on a woods walk
So these two barrels both shoot the same.
One is Indian, one is perdisoli, or Rice.
How do you say one is better? What is the criteria?

I don’t know what tge wood is on my dog lock. However I know my Centermark is on maple. Real TFC were on French walnut.
Is one better than the other?
My lock was worked on by loyalist arms. It’s smooth,solid and sparks. How is a Chambers or Davis better?
What’s the geometry that’s diffent between a bess lock on an Indian and a bess lock on a perdersoli
Is perdersoli trade gun a closer repro than a loyalist NWG? How do?

I see a lot of Indian made guns new and old.

There was old Indian gun maker from the 1970’s and 80’s that made REAL firearms.

Often confused for pedersoli guns, these were professionally made, and stocked in Turkish Walnut, often stamped by the distributor Henry Krank and Sandy McNab. These are the only Indian guns i can honestly say are worth any intrinsic value. These are very rare, and were custom ordered guns, the maker which escapes me, closed up shape some time in the late 1980’s. his arms often show up on auction.

These were also proofed by British, West German and Belgian Proof Houses.

Most Indian barrels I’ve seen owned by reinactors are in extremely poor condition, so poor that the breech plugs can be turned off the barrel by HAND !

Personally will not do anything to the barrels other than clean them as best as i can, if they’re ever in my shop.

They’re not breeched appropriately at all, there is almost no shoulder between the face of the breech plug and the bore, none at all and the breech is flanged …. You don’t see this on black powder guns, for a reason, the gas seal. Will it ever explode, not likely however I simply dont’ trust it, the threads are often very shallow and very close too, not ideal for a black powder arm.

Now as far as proofing goes, well Loyalist Arms and Middlesex both advertise some home made method of proofing, which is absurd, and you can’t exactly proof stamp your own barrel within any recognizable laws.

Lastly, proof houses do not publish their results to avoid disclosure, anyone here claiming they know, all that is known from proof houses is what the fail vs. pass rate is and you can see what their arms imports are, the rest is all empirical judgment.

As I’ve stated before, american barrels in 12L14 steel and A36 and 1035 steel are sold world wide and proofed world wide, but not proofed in the USA, and there is far and few published failures in public records.

My rejection of Indian Barrels as to do with what i want to see personally in a barrel.

For example a Brown Bess Barrel has a certain expectation on the breech shape and taper toward the muzzle, Indian barrels simply do not meet this, neither does a pedersoli so i own neither.

Same thing for French and American guns, i want my arms to be authentic within a tolerance of what i know to be accurate.

Lock Quality

Lock qualities vary often, Loyalist arms does their best i believe, however there are two issues i can honestly say plague iIndian locks.

Materials and Geometry.

The steel is less than adequate for a flintlock, i know that India is heavily involved in recycled steels from ship yards, so its hard to say what you’re working with.

Geometry, the locks are not made with correct geometry, i don’t believe they work off of good patterns because of this.

I woudln’t even place a chambers, davis or Kibler lock in the same category.

Last edited:
I see a lot of Indian made guns new and old.

There was old Indian gun maker from the 1970’s and 80’s that made REAL firearms.

Often confused for pedersoli guns, these were professionally made, and stocked in Turkish Walnut, often stamped by the distributor Henry Krank and Sandy McNab. These are the only Indian guns i can honestly say are worth any intrinsic value. These are very rare, and were custom ordered guns, the maker which escapes me, closed up shape some time in the late 1980’s. his arms often show up on auction.

These were also proofed by British, West German and Belgian Proof Houses.

Most Indian barrels I’ve seen owned by reinactors are in extremely poor condition, so poor that the breech plugs can be turned off the barrel by HAND !

Personally will not do anything to the barrels other than clean them as best as i can, if they’re ever in my shop.

They’re not breeched appropriately at all, there is almost no shoulder between the face of the breech plug and the bore, none at all and the breech is flanged …. You don’t see this on black powder guns, for a reason, the gas seal. Will it ever explode, not likely however I simply dont’ trust it, the threads are often very shallow and very close too, not ideal for a black powder arm.

Now as far as proofing goes, well Loyalist Arms and Middlesex both advertise some home made method of proofing, which is absurd, and you can’t exactly proof stamp your own barrel within any recognizable laws.

Lastly, proof houses do not publish their results to avoid disclosure, anyone here claiming they know, all that is known from proof houses is what the fail vs. pass rate is and you can see what their arms imports are, the rest is all empirical judgment.

As I’ve stated before, american barrels in 12L14 steel and A36 and 1035 steel are sold world wide and proofed world wide, but not proofed in the USA, and there is far and few published failures in public records.

My rejection of Indian Barrels as to do with what i want to see personally in a barrel.

For example a Brown Bess Barrel has a certain expectation on the breech shape and taper toward the muzzle, Indian barrels simply do not meet this, neither does a pedersoli so i own neither.

Same thing for French and American guns, i want my arms to be authentic within a tolerance of what i know to be accurate.

Lock Quality

Lock qualities vary often, Loyalist arms does their best i believe, however there are two issues i can honestly say plague iIndian locks.

Materials and Geometry.

The steel is less than adequate for a flintlock, i know that India is heavily involved in recycled steels from ship yards, so its hard to say what you’re working with.

Geometry, the locks are not made with correct geometry, i don’t believe they work off of good patterns because of this.

I woudln’t even place a chambers, davis or Kibler lock in the same category.
Now my dog lock tapers, I’ve seen videos of tge gun used as a pattern for it and can tell you where the difference are. However it’s as close as perdisoli is to an original.
What is the criteria you use to say the geometry and quality is not as good?
A lock works quickly and smoothly and sparks. It doesn’t eat flints. The working surfaces are smooth. What makes tge one better?
I’m an put in mind of a quote from the eighteenth century about the kings musket
I would have to look up the author
But he said the kings musket if not illy boared AS MANY OF THEM ARE can hit the figure of a man at eighty yards.
He went on to say that beyond a hundred yards you may as well shoot at the moon.
Service life was about twenty years.
I truly doubt that the kings musket could stand beside a repo today, on average. Honesty I read these same things about Italian and Japanese guns in the 1970s and 80s
I recall when CVA made the Mountain Rifle how Blackpowder report lambasted it, now it’s popular when one can find one.
I too had an unfounded prejudice against curry poppers, till I examined them and researched them

It,s all fun until someone loses an eye or limb......or face,,,,
Use of any firearm carries the risk of bodily harm.
Recent modern firearm recalls seem to bear this out.
My Indian guns have functioned as well as any firearm of the period in history they descend from and are made of better metal. They fill a niche market spot that lets me afford to have enjoyment shooting as near to the way 18th century folks would have.
If you don't like them don't buy, use or bash them because of your prejudices.
I will never compare Indian guns to a Kibler or other contemporary high end guns. I will however still get enjoyment from their use and maintenance in my low end muzzleloading hobby.
The talk of proof charges insuring that muzzleloaders are safe does not seem logical in the face of modern methods. Do you think the government should safeguard us by requiring proof? what a good way to control firearms use!!
Quality has many variables but Indian guns work for me even if they need work!!
LBL

Comments like this illustrate your lack of knowledge. Assuming dozens of different locks all have bad geometry is foolish. Some are good others poor. All can be tweaked to solve problems, some take more effort others have great geometry. Many manufacturers suffer from poor geometry. Pendersoli's harpers ferry is poor but their brown bess if good ect. IF you had worked on as many as you claim you would know the markings under the barrel and that loyalist and veteran are from the same source while Middlesex, heritage are different. Different builders, different barrels, but to the uneducated like you they are all viewed as the same.

It,s all fun until someone loses an eye or limb......or face,,,,
Can you find where there are Indian guns blowing up?
Well let’s refine that.
Not loaded with smokeless
Kept clean
And on a reasonable load.
I couldn’t find one instance
You would think Bombay pipe bombs would at least go off every now and then to let us JSPS of the ml community know how dangerous they were.
JSPS is on of the letters that follow my name
RN, BSN,BA,JSPS
Just some poor shmuck.

Now my dog lock tapers, I’ve seen videos of tge gun used as a pattern for it and can tell you where the difference are. However it’s as close as perdisoli is to an original.
What is the criteria you use to say the geometry and quality is not as good?
A lock works quickly and smoothly and sparks. It doesn’t eat flints. The working surfaces are smooth. What makes tge one better?
I’m an put in mind of a quote from the eighteenth century about the kings musket
I would have to look up the author
But he said the kings musket if not illy boared AS MANY OF THEM ARE can hit the figure of a man at eighty yards.
He went on to say that beyond a hundred yards you may as well shoot at the moon.
Service life was about twenty years.
I truly doubt that the kings musket could stand beside a repo today, on average. Honesty I read these same things about Italian and Japanese guns in the 1970s and 80s
I recall when CVA made the Mountain Rifle how Blackpowder report lambasted it, now it’s popular when one can find one.
I too had an unfounded prejudice against curry poppers, till I examined them and researched them

It depends on the lock, almost all Indian locks I’ve worked on have absolutely no geometric placement of the parts, they’re simply slapped together.

I have a french 1728 Indian made musket here.

Here is just a few observations i will make.

Tumbler; the tumblers are rough mill cut and is too small with very short placement of the tumbler notches, the lack of tumbler size has justified their need to make a sear with a very long nose to engage the tumbler, causing an inadequate throw.

The Sear placement in the lock is too far from the tumbler and placed to high with a sear spring that is not really made to fit the intended pattern of lock, the sear springs often are almost completely closed shut too, which is an obvious indication of a poorly located sear. This also makes for a very sloppy trigger pull. Lastly a sear is supposed to pivot freely without spring tension, attached to the bridal and with spring tension the sear seizes up.

Bridal: The intention of a bridal on a lock is to keep the internals from misaligning. The bridal on this lock is useless, it’s only on the lock for cosmetics, it’s placed in a position which causes the bridal to tilt the tumbler off balance. The bridals also rely on screw tension to keep it placed, as there are no integral pins to place it on the plate, so if the screw tension is too right on either side of the bridal the lock simply will not work correctly as there is too much downward pressure on either the sear or the tumbler rotation.

Mainsprings; the mainspring on this lock is simply not made well, the legs are closed almost completely and the legs on the spring are not tapered at all, the foot is around 3 mm to long and too high placing on the tumbler foot incorrectly, when at halfcock the mainspring foot has contact with the tumbler beneath and at the tip causing the spring to leave a witness mark in the tumbler and a mark on the undersize of the spring. This spring will eventually break on day at the foot of the spring, or jam up completely and just break on the lower leg. Lastly, Indian made mainsprings are difficult to temper because the steel that is used is some type of unknown alloy, this are the only springs i quench in a hot water brine of potassium nitrate and salts, i often simply just replace the mainspring as a show of good faith.

Frizzen and Frizzen spring and pans. the pans are roughly cut from mils, they are often too narrow and high with pan openings that are not very deep, this of course is a poor quality as the pans can only take so much powder if they’re shallow and narrow. The pans are also not fit to the plates correctly, they are screwed on as to where detached pans should ‘clip on’ with dovetailed edge on the final, the screw is there keep it from moving. On this Indian made lock, the screw does double duty, so a notch had to be cut under the pan to keep the mainspring from pushing it up causing a gap with the frizzen. Frizzens should be in the appropriate style of the lock, they simply are not in the correct style, they’re often drilled off center and have over filed toes and when at rest are almost completely closed over the pan. The.frizzen springs are often very chunky and placed too far in on the plate brining the foot of the frizzen very close to the bend in the frizzen spring, this causes the flint to be stiff and chew up flints. Frizzens are not made of any specific type of high carbon steel, they’re again, some type of steel alloy that is supposedly case hardened according to their distributors, they often do not spark very well, some do spark well after carburization for s short period of time. The fix is to dovetail or weld on a small shim of 1095 steel to the face or cut off the top of the frizzen steel and dove tail on new steel bottom with brazings around the dovetail, ii dont do this work anymore as it is costly in time and owners are not usually willing to pay for the fine work.

cocks: The cock is not shaped correctly, troubled already with a poor throw, the necks are too straight and do not strike the steel in a position that fully engages the flints to the steel, the cocks act more like a hammer smashing the flints. Flint cocks are supposed to strike a frizzens approptliatly sot that the frizzen is cut by the flints edge from top to bottom sending sparks downward towards the pan, marking a lock that sparks all that was intended by the makers, having it spark appropriately was clearly not a quality intended. This can be overcome by heating the neck of the cock and repositioning it, however i would advise against that as the steel on the lock is often not known. Annealing, hardening and tempering temperatures can often only be guessed at range, and not knowing the tolerances can leave it brittle. Top Jaws and screws are just awful.

Lock Finish, the locks are simply polished with a buffing wheel, with file marks polished over in critical locations like the tumbler. Polished over file marks act like hack saw blade teeth cutting up the plate and other parts with each pull of the cock, this leads to excess wear and advanced depreciation of the lock, creating the need to spot welded areas where material is lost or some how add shims and bushings.

Hardening, the distributor of this lock says that it was case hardened, the RC of the steel is around 43-45, i use special files and borrow a RC tester from a machinist friend, the parts are not appropriately case hardened, and i don’t believe they can be because of the steel quality, the best method I’ve done for working these locks is the remove all file marks and polish the parts and harden and quench in a brine and temper back at 400 for 1 hour, after that i temple the parts in a high speed cylinder with 2 mm steel shot, this creates a case hardened surface that is used on watch and clock gears, stainless steel is often used in modern watch and clock parts, shot peening as it is called is an effect way to create a wear resistance surface on many metals.

Lastly the screws are often made of very soft mild steel, as with this lock the screws are stripped and thread pitches not cleanly cut, screw holes are drilled pretty poorly.

In this 1728 lock i worked on (for a regimental member)

I completely reworked the lock, following most of the steps above.

Sear spring, there was enough real estate to move the spring higher so i did, i also reshaped the spring, opening it, making for a cleaner trigger pull, old hole was TIG welded and redrilled.

Sear was filed down on the top and moved slightly closer, agin enough real estate to weld up and redrill the crew hole. Bridle was welded and redrilled too.

To make the bridle more stationary i welded on a few small beads at the top and notched them into the plate, almost like an integral pin. I would have drilled a pin however there wasn’t enough material on the bridle to make it work. Tumbler arbor hole was welded up and redrilled correctly.

Frizzen spring was located further away towards the end of the plate, and the spring reshaped with more taper on the end, this aloud the frizzen to engage the pan better and not be so stiff.

All parts were hardened, tempered and shot peened. A new mainspring was made for the lock.

Lastly i US surcharged stamped the lock to match an original COS musket that used a 1728 musket lock.

A lot of handwork and effort was put into this lock to make it function adequately. With some much of the changes being cosmetic too, i spent around 20-30 hours on the lock for not profit of my work or time.

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpeg
    IMG_0698.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0701.jpeg
    IMG_0701.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0702.jpeg
    IMG_0702.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0703.jpeg
    IMG_0703.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Comments like this illustrate your lack of knowledge. Assuming dozens of different locks all have bad geometry is foolish. Some are good others poor. All can be tweaked to solve problems, some take more effort others have great geometry. Many manufacturers suffer from poor geometry. Pendersoli's harpers ferry is poor but their brown bess if good ect. IF you had worked on as many as you claim you would know the markings under the barrel and that loyalist and veteran are from the same source while Middlesex, heritage are different. Different builders, different barrels, but to the uneducated like you they are all viewed as the same.

Pedersoli doesn’t use patterns, their locks are CNC machined with digital 3D equipment, they don’t need patterns as they can manufacture locks within certain tolerances. They also have capital which provides for warranties, which Indian gun makers do not and neither do their distributors. The distributors back the quality of their products from which they purchase, which is not attesting to the quality of their products, and their claims of quality control are lagging in legitimacy and transparency and this is done purposely because cost is more important to them than quality at least with pedersoli you have some quality control such as replacement parts, warranties and even pedersoli paid gunsmiths in the USA. Indian gun locks have no replacements parts, you can’t even screws, ask for their guns with specialists and warranty replacements you’re waiting another year to get your gun and then waiting on the owner of the shop to fix up your bad parts.

With Indian made locks, if there is quality… it is so because it is accidental.

Well if I’m an uneducated fool as you say i am, I certainly can say i learn more from answering foolish questions than i do from your wise answers.

What is wrong with you? These guys who know tell you the truth and you just ignore them.

Btw, pedersoli isn’t cnc-ed. They cast that stuff. Most of it, anyway.

Stop being mortally wounded, take your mydol and rejoin the group.

The parts are CNC cut to the plate, I’ll remember the next you give me a call for help Marshall…. Take a hike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back