• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Middlesex Village Muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJLight

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Guys;
I have read many discussions concerning different manufacturers and opinions on each but never took notes. Our Rev War unit is experiencing a major growth spurt and we are running out of muskets. Most of the guys have the old Jap 1763 Charlievilles but we do have a few Besses. With new members money can be an issue getting equipped so I throw out this question. How is the quality and reliability of the Middlesex muskets. There price is great but I don't want our new guys buying garbage. I bought my Jap '63 in 1978 and it has never failed me. If Middlesex isn't the answer what do you suggest short of an Italian for over $1000.

Thanks in advance.

NJLight

I have one I bought about 1 1/2 years ago. It has been very dependable. I use it mainly for reeancting and it has worked out very well. I have fired a dozen or so live rounds strictly to familiarize myself with it and it was just fine. It was used recently by a friend to fire 10 rounds in five minutes and he had no misfires doing that.

The springs are pretty stiff so flint life is cut down but the lock throws good spark with ignition regardless of how much powder is in the pan. I supposed you could put in too little, but in most cases loading from a cartridge it is too much. Not a problem.

The finish on the barrel and lock are a bit bright, but a little humidity takes care of that pretty quickly.

The wood is supposed to rosewood and could stand to be trimed down and re-finished, but we have some kind of event every month so I haven't had time to do that.

Don R

Don:

Thanks for the reply. The metal does look bright in the photos but as you said a few events with rain or humidity would take care of that. As long as the stocks were not varathaned or varnished they could easily be refinished or let age naturally.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Rubbing the bbl. and lock with a green Scoth-Brite pad will dull down the shine quite a bit. The metal can further be dulled using a mustard paste.

I have one of the Cookson fowlers and am very pleased with it for the money. I think you will be happy with them. They are good project guns if you are into tuning up guns. Mine had several minor issues and some have been worked out and some still remain to be corrected. The trigger on mine was super heavy at what I speculate to be around 30 lbs. I re-cut the sear notch and got it down to around4-5 lbs. The frizzen also went soft on me but otherwise the locks are good sparkers. Pete will re-harden your frizzen for gratis if you send it to him. Any of them with a wood rammer is going to have to have it replaced. The heavy frizzen spring makes it a flint eater but they can be bent slightly to reduce the amount of force required to open the frizzen. They are not glass hard like the springs on a top of the line flintlock that won't stand any over-stressing.

You also may want to check out
www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com

There specials section has some kit muskets and some with shipping damage at discounted rates, a little work and what not and there you go a nice solid musket that wont break the bank.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys: (both Bessbattlesystem and Runnball)

I appreciate the advice. I think I am spoiled after having my Jap made Charleville for so many years. I really enjoy it. We will probably look into the MVTC muskets. We are going to need about 5 with the present recruit situation. If you have any other thoughts please let me know.

Chris

Didn't mean to leave you out Squirejohn. I appreciate your advice as well.

Chris

Back