• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Marking your targets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Many shooters post pictures of their targets to show what great shots they are. For all we know y'all could be 10 feet away. Whadda-ya-say y'all start putting pertinent information on the target.
Distance
Caliber
Powder Grains
Round Ball or Conical
Date
Description of Rifle/Musket
any combo of the above and/or anything else ya' feel "pertinent"
Distance in a must.
Thanks,
Semper Fi.

I keep some of my targets to show folks that have problems , what is expected from a m/l gun. Sight in targets are interesting to see the way the bullet holes react to filing the front sight down , while raising the ball impact position.

I mark my targets with that info and only forget on rare occasion. I also keep bad targets along with my best.

I got into the habit of writing information on my targets when ammo testing, whether it be centerfire, rimfire, airgun or black powder. I like to take photos with my phone, then transfer them to a folder for that particular rifle on the computer. At 61 my memory isn't what it used to be, the photos make it easy to go back and see what worked.

Last edited:
I got into the habit of writing information on my targets when ammo testing, whether it be centerfire, rimfire, airgun or black powder. I like to take photos with my phone, then transfer them to a folder for that particular rifle on the computer. At 61 my memory isn't what it used to be, the photos make it easy to go back and see what worked.
As much as I use a computer I never thought of that - good idea. Like most if y'all posting, I save targets. I write the load data, weather conditions, and distance on the target.
Edit: One exception is pattern targets for my shotgun. I tried keeping them but they are too big and get in the way. I just record the information in a journal.

I remember reading a short story in school about a "hunter" who would go out into the woods once a week. Anyone who followed him would find lots of targets carved into trees with only one shot... always dead center of the target. Finally someone found the secret: he shot the tree FIRST and THEN carved the target around the hole.

I’ve posted photos of my targets in response to questions about smoothbore shooting. And given the ranges
Of couse they could be faked, but the point was to show what a smoothbore can do.
I could never compleat at nationals or even state level. My shots posted were from semi rest, ie: held while using a bench to support my left arm and sitting.
Largly the way I hunt, sitting while using a knee or leaning on a tree or such.
Even then there are a lot of shots posted better then I get
There is nothing to be gained by cheating.
I will never meet most of the folks on this forum. There is no bragging rights involved
And any one who gets a smoothbore will soon see what it can do… so why lie
I have posted my best shot ever with a rifle, and even though it’s a good group it pales next to what hard core shooters can do. But, it was my personal best
My best run was a seven minute mile, and I did a half marathon, it ruined my knee, now I can’t jog at all with out pain.
Slow time but I’m still proud of it
Made manicotti last week. My wife said, aren’t manicotti round? Mine were flat ovals. Yup they should be, but still tasted good

I can’t figure out why some days I can get on a 10” target at 100 yds but the same day I can’t get a group at 25 or 50.

Go figure. :)
I had a CVA somethin or other once that would shoot like Davy Crockett was aiming it, until one day it didnt? I tried everything in the known world. Was just done. Noone else could get it to shoot. I could shoot other guns the same as always. Guessed it was "shot out". About 3-4 years later I was gonna sell it so we took it out to shoot and??? WAHLA Shot a 1" group at 50 yds. I kept it. Please note I did not do a dang thing to it. It just started to shoot again. I suspect had some kinda humididty/wood thing as no amount of cleaning scrubbing load changes, praying etc had worked.

Had a CVA Mnt Pistol in .50 too that I could hit a quarter at 25 yds EVERY shot. Pretty amazing but at 30-35 yds it went wild. Quarter group at 25, 6" group at 30??? No explanation?

BP is wierd. Good luck.

I remember reading a short story in school about a "hunter" who would go out into the woods once a week. Anyone who followed him would find lots of targets carved into trees with only one shot... always dead center of the target. Finally someone found the secret: he shot the tree FIRST and THEN carved the target around the hole.
Yeah my guns all shoot half to 5/8 inches, one shot groups.

I never shoot into live trees...period!
At least not on purpose, sometimes those dang things jump right into the way though...LOL

Many shooters post pictures of their targets to show what great shots they are. For all we know y'all could be 10 feet away. Whadda-ya-say y'all start putting pertinent information on the target.
Distance
Caliber
Powder Grains
Round Ball or Conical
Date
Description of Rifle/Musket
any combo of the above and/or anything else ya' feel "pertinent"
Distance in a must.
Thanks,
Semper Fi.
This won't stop the Fish Tales where a 100 yard target becomes 200 , because fuzzy math and shooting downhill, the range guys put the 100 yard berm at a "country 100" which is more like 170 plus the bench is far from the line ......

I’ve posted photos of my targets in response to questions about smoothbore shooting. And given the ranges
Of couse they could be faked, but the point was to show what a smoothbore can do.
I could never compleat at nationals or even state level. My shots posted were from semi rest, ie: held while using a bench to support my left arm and sitting.
Largly the way I hunt, sitting while using a knee or leaning on a tree or such.
Even then there are a lot of shots posted better then I get
There is nothing to be gained by cheating.
I will never meet most of the folks on this forum. There is no bragging rights involved
And any one who gets a smoothbore will soon see what it can do… so why lie
I have posted my best shot ever with a rifle, and even though it’s a good group it pales next to what hard core shooters can do. But, it was my personal best
My best run was a seven minute mile, and I did a half marathon, it ruined my knee, now I can’t jog at all with out pain.
Slow time but I’m still proud of it
Made manicotti last week. My wife said, aren’t manicotti round? Mine were flat ovals. Yup they should be, but still tasted good
I shot a target at 100 yards with a smoothbore musket , and people still didn't believe that a smoothbore musket can hit at 100......I'm like well you'll just have to believe me....

Back