• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a taller rear sight for the SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a couple of taller rear sights from TOW, but they didn’t arrive before I headed back to the camp. I thought why not make one. I have plenty of 1/2” x 1/2” square bar so I’m giving it a try. It’s roughed out now but still a ways to go. As it sits it will certainly be too tall, but easily remedied with a file. Here’s what I’ve done so far, I’ll post more photos when it’s finished.

Attachments

• IMG_2666.jpeg
    IMG_2666.jpeg
    967.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2667.jpeg
    IMG_2667.jpeg
    821.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2668.jpeg
    IMG_2668.jpeg
    741.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2670.jpeg
    IMG_2670.jpeg
    872.2 KB · Views: 0
Was able to finish quicker than I thought. The final hand fitting took some time but best to move slow on that. Once I get the right height dialed in I’ll do a little more shaping and try to get something that looks more SMR’ish.

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpeg
    IMG_2671.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2672.jpeg
    IMG_2672.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2673.jpeg
    IMG_2673.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2674.jpeg
    IMG_2674.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2676.jpeg
    IMG_2676.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
How is the aim adjusted? They are fixed!
Both front and rear sights may be "drifted" sideways in their dovetail slots to correct for windage. The rear sight's v-notch may be filed deeper to compensate for shooting too high, and the front sight may be filed down to compensate for shooting too low. That being said, mine was shooting way too low to be compensated for simply filing down the front sight, so basically I need to replace the rear sight with one that either sits higher or is adjustable for elevation.

...Once I get the right height dialed in....
Is there a way to get the right height ballparked without repetitive trial by shooting? EG if I know mine is shooting 12 inches low at 100 yds with the Kibler sight, what's the best height above the barrel to start with on a replacement sight?

Is there a way to get the right height ballparked without repetitive trial by shooting? EG if I know mine is shooting 12 inches low at 100 yds with the Kibler sight, what's the best height above the barrel to start with on a replacement sight?
You can get very close, if your numbers are accurate...

https://www.jackweigand.com/Point Of Impact Adjustment Formula.html
There are others out there. Search for "rifle sight height formula for adjusting sight height"

Are you going to flame blue that sight or install it on the barrel and blue the whole works at once.

Back