• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Built my first rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrubicon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I built my first rifle. It’s got a Durs Egg L&R lock, Chambers White Lightning touch hole, GM 36” 45 cal barrel and Davis triggers. I bought it from a member here. It started out as a Sitting Fox kit,
03735010-6496-4FB7-A863-69433C845F81.jpeg
86970914-2CBE-4582-8B95-76930E598E2C.jpeg
03735010-6496-4FB7-A863-69433C845F81.jpeg
I had a ball building this! I started in February and worked on it as time allowed. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I shot it 15 times today. 60g Schuetzen 3f for charge and prime. It’s ignition seems slow to me but I’m learning. It’s the first flintlock I’ve ever handled let alone shot. Plenty more to learn! It’s shooting pretty low, I ordered a taller rear sight to try out before I file the front sight to low. The windage seems spot on for now. I know it’s not perfect, nothing ever is. I learned a lot that I can apply as I grow in this hobby. I think the biggest obstacle was getting clean counterbores in the metal. This was very good to gain a little experience. I’m looking forward to doing it again.
12100792-6886-4439-8A2E-ABD0F598E752.jpeg
3F7F9974-50AE-409A-913E-AFD7164F6C55.jpeg
AB0C1E52-A6E5-4E9F-B882-8D40F4416D05.jpeg
AF5F7224-57B4-4746-9BC8-287FAFF46B39.jpeg

Attachments

• 75D1C099-B490-4968-8E24-210B2BEB2BA2.jpeg
    75D1C099-B490-4968-8E24-210B2BEB2BA2.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
Whaaaat.....

First kit build? Schitting fox no less?

You knocked thst one out of the park. Fit, finish all very good. A few scuffs in the finish but I bet it's only visible in the sun. I Like the antiquing. Toe plate matches the fit quality and style of the rest of the rifle. I hope you keep doing this because you got it figured out.

I want me a wooden under rib sooooo bad.

Beautiful Rifle.

Bonus point for having those screw slots all lined up.
The wood under rib was actually pretty simple. I was intimidated at first but it was pretty simple. I wanted to make the rifle as light as possible and the wood under rib was the answer. It weighs 6.4 lbs full dress.

Whaaaat.....

First kit build? Schitting fox no less?

You knocked thst one out of the park. Fit, finish all very good. A few scuffs in the finish but I bet it's only visible in the sun. I Like the antiquing. Toe plate matches the fit quality and style of the rest of the rifle. I hope you keep doing this because you got it figured out.
Those scratches really irk me. I did two coats of aqua fortis, then two coats of birch wood Casey walnut stain. It was really orange. I used tru oil as a finish because I had some. Those scuffs showed up after the second coat, I kept buffing them out but couldn’t get rid of them. I stopped at 8 coats of tru oil.

Those scratches really irk me. I did two coats of aqua fortis, then two coats of birch wood Casey walnut stain. It was really orange. I used tru oil as a finish because I had some. Those scuffs showed up after the second coat, I kept buffing them out but couldn’t get rid of them. I stopped at 8 coats of tru oil.

You can wet-sand them out with 600-grit wet-or-dry Emery paper wetted with water and backed by a small (1" square or so) wood block. The finish will then be dull and hazy and you can either polish it back with rottenstone and whiting or simply hand-rub another very thin coat of Tru-oil on it. The good thing is you have enough finish on there to work with.

That looks very nice! What’s your second going to be?
I love hawkens rifles, I’m a little intimidated though. Lately there have been many posts on trade rifles, and I got to say that I could get into shooting a smoothie. I just need to learn about the difference in them to make up my mind. I’m also very interested in a small bore squirrel rifle. I’m partial to half stocks. I’d like to build a 32 in a Vincent rifle, iron furnished. I don’t like brass, at all.

You can wet-sand them out with 600-grit wet-or-dry Emery paper wetted with water and backed by a small (1" square or so) wood block. The finish will then be dull and hazy and you can either polish it back with rottenstone and whiting or simply hand-rub another very thin coat of Tru-oil on it. The good thing is you have enough finish on there to work with.
I’m going to re visit this once I have the sights dialed in. Thank you for your advice on this. Much appreciated.

Well, I built my first rifle. It’s got a Durs Egg L&R lock, Chambers White Lightning touch hole, GM 36” 45 cal barrel and Davis triggers. I bought it from a member here. It started out as a Sitting Fox kit, View attachment 244881View attachment 244882View attachment 244881I had a ball building this! I started in February and worked on it as time allowed. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I shot it 15 times today. 60g Schuetzen 3f for charge and prime. It’s ignition seems slow to me but I’m learning. It’s the first flintlock I’ve ever handled let alone shot. Plenty more to learn! It’s shooting pretty low, I ordered a taller rear sight to try out before I file the front sight to low. The windage seems spot on for now. I know it’s not perfect, nothing ever is. I learned a lot that I can apply as I grow in this hobby. I think the biggest obstacle was getting clean counterbores in the metal. This was very good to gain a little experience. I’m looking forward to doing it again.View attachment 244883View attachment 244885View attachment 244887View attachment 244888
Darn nice job, rifle beautifully executed. You have every right to be proud!

Everything about that rifle is spot on -- you did a VERY NICE job on it!:ghostly:

Back