• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight issues - pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really never liked the buckhorn sight that comes with the pedersoli frontier rifles. I ordered a taller rear sight from the Log Cabin Shop and opened it up giving more white space to help with a blurry sight issue. The new taller rear sight was too loose in the dovetail so I used an extra thin shim of copper to tighten the sight. That was the wrong thing to do as it pushed the sight up bending the edges at the top of the dove tail almost letting the sight slide through the top dovetail opening. I need to remove the sight again and do something different. I'm thinking I may 'tin' the side edges of the rear sight to make the sight tighter in the dovetail slot. I could easily sand away the tin to get the right fit. I don't know if a copper shim along the edge will work. I definitely don't want to put anything under the rear sight again.
Ohio Rusty ><>

rear sight.jpg

Peen the dovetail edges back to the way they were, then clean off and put a blob of solder about the dia of a pencil eraser on center of the sight base. When you tap it in it'll swage off the excess and tighten up fine.

I had the fuzzy sight picture and found out it was from my blacksmiths cataracts. I had them removed and new lens implants put in. A world of difference, my vision is like it was when I was 30 or so and no more fuzzy sight pictures no matter which gun I use.
BTW: I also have used the punch method to tighten up a loose dovetail fit.

Like they already mentioned , you can dimple the bottom of the dovetail .... You can tap down the edges of the dovetail and you can upset the edges of the sight too . Good luck

Latest posts

Back