• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made Smoke

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice shooting!
I just bought one of these and had a good time shooting. I was able to keep it in the black 4" circle at about 40 yards .490 PRB 70gr. Pyrodex RS which is good for my eye. I don't know how old it is but it has a warning on the barrel and a 4XX XXX serial number. I bought this gun because the barrel was a little fuzzy inside and I wanted to shoot the old (Late '80s) Pyrodex up. That stuff is somewhat corrosive and I won't use it in my Enfield or my Great Plains.

Thank you everyone. It seems that I have a few items to purchase. This rifle was my Dad's, he gave it to me in 2005, he asked for it back in 2015, as he had intended to do some local Eastern Oregon shoots, but life didn't work out. He brought it back earlier this year, but most of the accouterments I had assembled are still in his shop somewhere. So while I have a maxi-ball mold, I am going to have to purchase a RB mold, a proper cleaning jag, and a better ramrod. I have been shooting BPCR for a few years now, so I have plenty of powder and lead, and I have cleaning supplies, but it is geared for a 45 caliber Sharps. Yesterday was a whole lot of fun and immediately took me back to my teenage years so many decades ago. I may even see if I can salvage my Korean .58 caliber civil war rifle and get it shooting. Thanks again for the kind words.

Dave

Dave that's a great story and inspiring. I just got into muzzle loading. I bought a
6 rifles in a small collection and cleaned and fired a couple myself for the first time a couple of days ago. one was a 1976 .45 cal. CVA mountain rifle and the other was a long .40 cal. flintlock with Jack Garner engraved on the barrel, I am thinking its from the same time period? What a hoot they were to shoot, it was slowww and relaxing to say the least. No telling when those rifles were shot last. Was told they came from Tennessee. Its a whole new world for me coming from class III weapons and LR rifle competitions. I am going to try to get out and shoot a doe later this month when they are allowed.

That is great! Someday when some other interests drop off, I would love to try a flintlock, maybe a smoothbore. Love hearing about others journeys as I am making my own. I have done a fair amount of LR shooting out to a mile for fun. My favorite bucket list accomplishment to date is making multiple hits on the White Buffalo at the Whittington Center with my Sharps 45 2.1. I am fixing to be 57, and I have been shooting since I was 5, and started with the smokepoles when I was 13 with this very Hawken. I picked up the few things I could locally today, will order the rest online. One priority is picking up a RB mold, not ready to shoot these 370gr maxi balls I cast. What a great time.

Back