• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you using conventional or synthetic (for cold days)?
And do you use a funnel?
I have a heated and metered-valve dispenser for those full synthetic oils on really cold days. I'm working on a ball heater as well so there won't be any patch/lube/ball temp disparities in the middle of a hunt. Consistency is at the heart of accuracy. Hey.. it might work.

When lubing patch material does one pour oil down the barrel on top of charge then push patch down or should you push patch down then por powder down the barrel then seat ball.
No lube in barrel. Only minimum lube rubbed onto patch, put around ball, seat ball onto powder that you had already poured first. Thats all you need.

I have a heated and metered-valve dispenser for those full synthetic oils on really cold days. I'm working on a ball heater as well so there won't be any patch/lube/ball temp disparities in the middle of a hunt. Consistency is at the heart of accuracy. Hey.. it might work.
sorry i just can't!!!!!!!! carry on!

Is Citrus Strip safe to use
To remove varnish from an
Iron butt plate?
Thanks

Jim in La Luz
😎

Where do you get Whale oil? I thought all Whale products were banned?
Ye old Exxon whale oil station of course!
images (20).jpeg

It was recommended to me to use a 10 percent solution of Dawn to water for patch lube. Yep, nay sayers, I know the old timers didn’t have Dawn. They didn’t drive home a huge 4 wheel drive pick up either. It works, gun easy to clean afterwards, and cheap!

It was recommended to me to use a 10 percent solution of Dawn to water for patch lube. Yep, nay sayers, I know the old timers didn’t have Dawn. They didn’t drive home a huge 4 wheel drive pick up either. It works, gun easy to clean afterwards, and cheap!

I often use that same method when doing fun shoots, matches or plinking. It works great for me. Same results as spit but without the dry mouth. :)

Not for hunting situations where the gun is loaded for longer periods. Could result in rust developing from the wet patch (I'm sure you know this but I don't want to mislead newcomers to the sport)

Youre exactly right, I use an old “Fur Fish and Game”. Lube for hinting. Beeswax, cod liver oil and Murphys oil soap.

Back