• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing Lee R.E.A.L.'s?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you all lube your Lee R.E.A.L.'s?
The lube grooves are so shallow they won't hold lube very well.
I have lubed them with Bore Butter but prefer to use Lee liquid alox. It puts a good tough coating on them that doesn't seem to have any effect on fouling.
Your inputs would be appreciated.

Huntin

I believe that Lee designed them to be tumble lubed with the Lee liquid alox. Perhaps if you heated up some bees wax combination it would work as well.

I've shot a lot of R.E.A.L.'s, using some sort of bore butter lube with great success. I can't imagine that Alox would keep fouling softened up like bore butter will.

:results:
R.M.

I've used them with equal parts Crisco/Mutton Tallow/Beeswax (a homebrew variation of "Old Zip" patch grease) and also a blend of my own; made up of 4:castor oil, 2: beeswax, 1: Murphy's Oil (Moose Marrow :haha: Hallf as much castor as "Snot" and much thicker).

Adding a veg. fiber wad behind them made a 2X increase in accuracy for me.

Mr. Stumpkiller,
Was wondering how a veg fiber wad might affect performance. Will definately have to give it a try, now. Thanks!
Best wishes

I would like to reinforce that something under the bullet is a necessity in my experience. I use the REAL bullet in my 58 musket. It is a short barrelled model 1-48 twist. With out something under the bullet it shoots around 6-8" at 100 yds off a bench. When I put a folded over piece of paper towel down(very high tech)first, then the bullet, the groups shrink to less than 2". I have so far shot 3 groups of 5 shots ea that are 1 1/4" at 100 yds and all others have been 2" or under. This better than any other muzzleloader I own and far better than I ever expected. :results:

Othern

Back