• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Idaho Lewis Modified NASA lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happily married here. Many of the guys I know with an X or Xs and are support two households don’t have too many toys.
Happily married as well but I know more than a few fellas who are now single and seem to have plenty of time and money to spend on toys… on the other hand, my lovely wife has oft surprised me with guns, horses and motorcycles I hadn’t budgeted for. More than once I’ve admired something at a gun show table and been surprised when it showed up at the house. I married WAY above my weight class…

Well, between the two of them, I had over 38 years married. The longest to the second one. But we are all on friendly terms. One couldn't take the USMC life style, the other has her own issues that came with no longer living the high life overseas out of the Embassies when I retired from the USMC. But all three of us are happy and get along, which is good and especially the part that I have been left unsupervised!

I was smart legally going into both marriages, so my total loss of $$$ is insignificant to what I bring in. I have more than enough for what I want to do and lots of time, I am in good health, active and enjoying life.

All the toys and free time I want and then some. Marriage is good if you select right. Being divorced is good if you planned right. Retirement is phenomenal if you have the money, location, free time and health to enjoy it. People used to ask me what I was going to do with all my time when I fully retired, now some 8 years ago.
My answer: Anything I want.

Life is good!

Last edited:
Made my version of lube the last two days. The final mix was 3ozs of beeswax, 3 fluid ozs (1 bottle plus 0.4 ozs) of stihl 2cyle oil, 4ozs lanolin, and 2ozs mutton tallow. Melt point 115/120 degrees, solid at room temp but soft enough to pinch some off the block, and at 45 degrees the block cuts like solid cheddar cheese. Sticky enough that it works into and stays in the grooves. It is a tad thicker (thicker is what I wanted) than the modified NASA lube, yet retains the stickiness and slickness. My target operating Temps are 75 degrees down to 25 degrees. Now to go shoot things.
View attachment 203117
I don’t know if those are the same kind of conicals, but I seem to recall Lewis mentioning not to put any lube in the front groove. You would have to check me on that, but it made huge difference in accuracy, I believe.

I don’t know if those are the same kind of conicals, but I seem to recall Lewis mentioning not to put any lube in the front groove. You would have to check me on that, but it made huge difference in accuracy, I believe.
I am not sure what conicals Lewis might have been referring to, but since the pre internet days, the late 1980s or maybe early 90s, it has been suggested by some to leave the front groove of TC Maxi Balls lube free for accuracy. Always debated, never conclusively proven one way or the other as far as I know. Remember one individual that worked for me, that in the same conversation suggesting leaving the groove empty, suggesting adding a few grains of one of those smokeless ’Dot’ powders to kick things along a bit. Personally didn’t have repeated success with leaving the front groove empty and never tried the smokeless powder trick. And there are plenty of better conicals than the Maxi Ball in my experience.

@UndeadPoet I recall that comment from Lewis. He said he’d noted specks of lube at the 100 yard target. He changed to a softer lube and less of it, filling only the lower groove and it was apparently a game changer. I have a bunch of the commercial maxi balls I picked up at an auction and they’re lubed with some sort of fairly hard waxy stuff. One of these days I’ll get around to cleaning them and relubing with the magic sauce. They do have a pair of huge grooves, carrying far more lube than strictly necessary.

I use the Idaho Lewis secret lube as written , and just found another great use ! I wipe down my barrel before
reinserting into the stock ,especially pinned long rifles ,just examined one from last year and found not only no rust but no water seepage into stock after hunting in rain . No water/no rust and a pleasant waxy feel on exterior not to mention a super clean bore condition /Ed
Can you verify, to use 2 2.6 bottle of
Stihl syn oil per 1 16oz bar of nasa lube, to make modified nasa/ Idah lewis, bullet lube, please if you would
Someone reply, soon, Thanks Baxter.

Yes to the thinning of the lube with some kind of veggi oil. I’ve used coconut oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil. So far I see no real difference between them.
Does the Stihl oil not thin the lube?
Just asking, because I don't Kno
This will be new territory for me

Yes to the thinning of the lube with some kind of veggi oil. I’ve used coconut oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil. So far I see no real difference between them.
I copied his recipe even down to the name brand of peanut oil and works for me but your right ,I could use bear oil too and say it's my lube (HA) /Ed

I copied his recipe even down to the name brand of peanut oil and works for me but your right ,I could use bear oil too and say it's my lube (HA) /Ed
Can you send the recipe me? I'm trying to replicate and I have ordered
Accurate molds for the bullet he tested sent by a forum member
To him, last name lynch video on
U tube
# 50-275-B. Accurate mold.
Reply, [email protected]
Trying to learn, thanks stikshooter

and fill back up (1 time) with peanut oil !
You have the secret just take 1 of the empties and fill back up with peanut oil . Do not over heat/burn lube ,just double boil on low heat and stir frequently . 1st NASA and melt/then Stihl oil/2nd peanut oil stir till all is mixed . I pour out and cool in a cookie sheet pan . I cut up in strips for storage in containers cause I even use it in a 450 lube/sizer !/Ed

Back