• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing conicals - Methods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wszumera

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally have some decent bullets from my Lyman 575213 .58 minnie mold. Now I want to lubricate them.

I mixed up some Stumpy's moose marrow using this formula:

Beeswax 3 oz.
Castor Oil 9 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 1 oz.

Now how is the best way to apply it? Do you rub it on or dip it using heat? Or is there another way.

Thanks,

Clutch

I pan lube mine with SPG. I have a small saucepan I keep the lube in & melt the lube on the stove by sitting the pan over another that has a little water in it. I place my bullets in a dish which has sides a little taller than the bullets & pour the melted lube high enough to cover all the grease grooves. Once the lube has set you can remove the cake of lube from the pan & push the bullets out with your thumb. Alternately, you can dip the bullets into the molten lube & sit them to one side while they cool. They'll cool off faster this way but you'll have a lot more lube on the bullet's sides that'll come off when either sizing or loading.....if you pan lube them only the grooves will be filled with little to no excess to mess with.

I rub mine with the fingers. Belongs to the consistence of the lube. The lube I use is like normal fat, not to liquid and not to hard, more like butter which is out of the cooling box for 10-20 min.

I do mine by dipping in the melted lube one at a time. Hold the nose with a pair of neelle nose pliers and dip into the lube to the top band and them set on a piece of cardboard to cool. When your done just pour your lube into a container to cool. I don't have to size mine so the little extra lube comes off at the muzzle is of little concern and comes off with the muzzle blast anyway.
Fox :hatsoff:

I place all of the mini on a pie tin, base down.
I add the melted lube to the top of the grooves
level. When cooled I use a "cookie" cutter that i made to slide down over the ball cutting off all of the lube except whats in the grooves and lift them out.I made a plunger type arrangement that
fits on the cookie cutter and depressing that slides out the mini with perfect lube and clean
with nothing in the base to compromise the powder.

Two ways:

Rub on with finger

Pour around conicals sitting upright in an empty sardine tin and use a rolled tin (cut from the lid) or pipe to "cut" them out (like a cookie cutter) after the lube has hardened.

Back