• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube for Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at the instructions that came with a Chambers lock. It said oil all moving parts and grease all sliding parts.

I caught a little flack for mentioning grease. But if you clean the lock each time or even frequently, you're not going to gather dirt.

If it's good enough for a Chambers lock, it's good enough for mine. Any light gun oil and gun grease.

uno676 said:
That's what I was doing but I know black powder and petroleum products don't mix well so i was taking a pulse.
I think it takes the heat of the burning powder to create the hard fouling deposits petroleum oils can cause in the barrel.

I've never seen any negative results from using grease on the tumbler horn where the mainspring on many locks rubs.
Small surfaces like where the sear engages the half cock or full cock notches should be oiled.
This is especially important if there is a fly in the lock. A thick grease can cause a fly to hang up and not flop back and forth like it should.

For locks with a hinged stirrup like many L&R locks have you can forget the grease and just use a good grade of gun oil (or 3 in 1 if your mom doesn't mind you raiding her sewing machine drawer. :grin: )

I take my locks out each time, running them under the faucet with hot water and a bristle brush. Almost instantly spotless. A pop in the oven at it's lowest heat setting with the door cracked for a half hour dries it totally. Then I use ballistol to coat all parts and reassemble.

Bearkiller said:
I use Ballistol on all moving parts. Ballistol dissolves black powder so no grunge worries.

Ballistol leaves a heavy gunk. I almost had to take a bolt action unmentionable to the gunsmith because Ballistol froze the bolt. Awful stuff, never again.
Any decent gun oil is fine. I have used WD-40 for decades with good results.

Gun Oil. Fresh, clean Gun Oil.
I like Hoppes 9 Lubricating Oil.
Almost all oils get gummy as they get old and it only takes a few months.
There are and have been many threads here guys post about their locks not working properly,, and the fix is usually just a de-greasing, full cleaning and fresh oil.

That's why I asked I have had issues with mine in the past. I was fishing for better techniques. Which I've recieved many different options. It's almost like the bullet lube question everybody has their own process. :hmm:

I like Kroil for oiling and general rust prevention and Tetra Gun Grease for all contact points of moving parts including the trigger/s. Tetra preforms well hot or cold or really cold. Most assuredly not old school, but it works for me.

Latest posts

Back