• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Love This Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Crockett .32:

915E667C-283A-4597-80C1-13C219B0109D.jpeg

Great squirrel gun. I’m always impressed with its accuracy and reliability.

Smokey

Crockett rifles are fun for sure. I’ve really put mine to the test last year. Brought home 69 squirrels with it. Had it out on many hunts. Several days it rained, one of which I was out for over 5 hours in rain and she still torched off. It’s difficult terrain in these mountains here and my Crockett rifle has a few battle scars to show for it, but that’s okay. Gives it personality.

One thing for sure is by packing that little rifle around up in the mountains as much as I did last year, it darn near ruined me. Every ML I’ve picked up since feels like it weighs a ton.

For no more than it is, my Crockett rifle has given me more enjoyment than any other ML I’ve ever owned.

Last edited:
Crockett rifles are fun for sure. I’ve really put mine to the test last year. Brought home 69 squirrels with it. Had it out on many hunts. Several days it rained, one of which I was out for over 5 hours in rain and she still torched off. It’s difficult terrain in these mountains here and my Crockett rifle has a few battle scars to show for it, but that’s okay. Gives it personality.

One thing for sure is by packing that little rifle around up in the mountains as much as I did last year, it darn near ruined me. Every ML I’ve picked up since feels like it weighs a ton.

For no more than it is, my Crockett rifle has given me more enjoyment than any other ML I’ve ever owned.
Amazing, ETipp, how inexpensive ML enjoyment can be. I feel the same way about my 2 Traditions 50's. I have 2 TC's and while I think they are well made, they are far heavier, less accurate and way more finicky about ignition. When I go hunting I take my Trads.
You guys that have the Crockets need to quit bragging them up. Prices have skyrocketed in the last couple of years.
Its got warts!
Those are beauty marks rob. SW

Amazing, ETipp, how inexpensive ML enjoyment can be. I feel the same way about my 2 Traditions 50's. I have 2 TC's and while I think they are well made, they are far heavier, less accurate and way more finicky about ignition. When I go hunting I take my Trads.
You guys that have the Crockets need to quit bragging them up. Prices have skyrocketed in the last couple of years.

Those are beauty marks rob. SW
Sad as it is, prices have skyrocketed on everything in the last couple of years, eh?

Sad as it is, prices have skyrocketed on everything in the last couple of years, eh?
Yeah, sold mine for $300 to a fellow at my club a few years ago. I hope he realizes now what a deal he got, he seemed a little unsettled after he bought it. I recently came across the tag I had on it with a target I'd shot that included my load data. At 25 yards it was pretty much a figure 8 and dead on. I gave it to the guy, he said he'd not been able to make it shoot like that, but close. He'd been fiddling around with a bunch of different loading techniques, wads over powder charges of various materials and such. I just shot a patch and ball, worked great for me. I've mentioned before, I wasn't impressed with how the parts were fitted but man did it shoot.

I've been considering one of these for a while now. My state has a 36 caliber or under restriction for hunting small game with muzzleloaders. Not many 36cal models still being made or found used even, as far as .32cal rifles I like, it's either this or the Pedersoli Scout Carbine .32, which I do love the full stock look it has and the shorter length barrel.

The Crockett seems to be a bit long at 49" OAL, how do you guys find it's balance and performance, are you okay with the length?

Crockett rifles are fun for sure. I’ve really put mine to the test last year. Brought home 69 squirrels with it...

Do you FISH ? ? ?

If so, send those tails to the Mepps Fishing Lure Company -- and they'll send you back fishing lures!

You can get the info off their website. I used a lot of Mepps Squirrel-tailed lures when I was a kid (the "Black Fury").

Cheers!

Old No7

Do you FISH ? ? ?

If so, send those tails to the Mepps Fishing Lure Company -- and they'll send you back fishing lures!

You can get the info off their website. I used a lot of Mepps Squirrel-tailed lures when I was a kid (the "Black Fury").

Cheers!

Old No7
Actually, I do fish and I have a lot of squirrel tails.

I've been considering one of these for a while now. My state has a 36 caliber or under restriction for hunting small game with muzzleloaders. Not many 36cal models still being made or found used even, as far as .32cal rifles I like, it's either this or the Pedersoli Scout Carbine .32, which I do love the full stock look it has and the shorter length barrel.

The Crockett seems to be a bit long at 49" OAL, how do you guys find it's balance and performance, are you okay with the length?
The length is fine. But just last week a friend sent me a brass ram rod. What that did was add 15 oz to the rifle which it appears as if it holds steadier offhand. That little rifle is the most difficult rifle I’ve ever tried to shoot offhand. I’m hoping this will help.

As I've probably mentioned before IMHO the Crockett is the best rifle Traditions sells. I've owned other Traditions rifles and believe they are quality guns and do what they're supposed to do very well. They're not the prettiest, most finely finished or authentic muzzleloaders around but they have excellent barrels & reliability and shoot as well as anything on the market.

I had one for years and could kick myself for ever letting it go. I still have a .32 flintlock but the Crockett was just easy to bond with.

The length is fine. But just last week a friend sent me a brass ram rod. What that did was add 15 oz to the rifle which it appears as if it holds steadier offhand. That little rifle is the most difficult rifle I’ve ever tried to shoot offhand. I’m hoping this will help.
I've got a cva mt. rifle with a standard size 15/16 x 32 barrel in .36. It's a steady holder, as long as you can hold it. Does get a little heavy after a few hours in the woods tho.

I've got a cva mt. rifle with a standard size 15/16 x 32 barrel in .36. It's a steady holder, as long as you can hold it. Does get a little heavy after a few hours in the woods tho.
Honestly, as much as I like the lightness of my Crockett for packing in the mountains, I would gladly exchange a little heavy one if it holds more steady during offhand shooting.

I also believe that rifle fit can make all the difference.

I have owned my Crockett for around 5 years now, I probably shoot it more than any of the other MZ I own. It has taken its share of squirrels and rabbits. The Hunter Education students just love shooting it. My 6 grandchildren 2 boys and 4 girls want to shoot it all the time. I have no problem with barrel length feel like I could carry it all day with no problems. Shoot 15 gr. of 3f Pyrodex and a .012 patch on a ,310 ball.

I have owned my Crockett for around 5 years now, I probably shoot it more than any of the other MZ I own. It has taken its share of squirrels and rabbits. The Hunter Education students just love shooting it. My 6 grandchildren 2 boys and 4 girls want to shoot it all the time. I have no problem with barrel length feel like I could carry it all day with no problems. Shoot 15 gr. of 3f Pyrodex and a .012 patch on a ,310 ball.
Sounds like I might be going this route. Much easier than looking around for a used TC Seneca or Cherokee in .36cal

I like the Pedersoli Scout in .32 also but it's near ~$1000 new, it's a nice length carbine and has a full stock, which I prefer sometimes. But a Crockett with less than half the cost, that performs as well as what everyone is saying sounds good to me

Ed,

I thought it helped my off hand shooting. I feel that it balanced it out perfectly, at least for me. Now that you have added that sight, you should be good to go.

Anthony

Back