• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LOP question...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree about LOP, Thin shirt for 14" and hunting coat for 13-1/2". Since I started shooting all of my guns are 13-1/2, seems best for me.
Drop is more important and I could never find the sights on a TC although it was a tackdriver, A human can not shoulder them. I fit my stocks so the sights are in perfect alignment as I cut wood.
There is nothing a file can'r fix.

To an extent the "what's causing this?" question is valid as far as to what to look for in a future rifle. IMO based on what you've posted, the rifle mentioned is a terrible fit for you and should be destined for a shipping case with a new address on it soon. I am speaking from experience. My first attempt at shotgunning was with an arm that fit me terribly and I couldn't hit anything with it. Later in life found one that when shouldered blindfolded would have my eye looking down the barrel perfectly and I hit everything I aimed at with that gun.
Conversely, I tried a Traditions rifle in a store and with my long neck and arms was not able to get down far enough on the stock to achieve sighting. I left the store shaking my head wondering how a mfr could put out a product that was so far from "universal".
BTW my GPR fits perfectly, shoulders well and produces some of my best groups.

To an extent the "what's causing this?" question is valid as far as to what to look for in a future rifle. IMO based on what you've posted, the rifle mentioned is a terrible fit for you and should be destined for a shipping case with a new address on it soon. I am speaking from experience. My first attempt at shotgunning was with an arm that fit me terribly and I couldn't hit anything with it. Later in life found one that when shouldered blindfolded would have my eye looking down the barrel perfectly and I hit everything I aimed at with that gun.
Conversely, I tried a Traditions rifle in a store and with my long neck and arms was not able to get down far enough on the stock to achieve sighting. I left the store shaking my head wondering how a mfr could put out a product that was so far from "universal".
BTW my GPR fits perfectly, shoulders well and produces some of my best groups.
Indeed.

This is the only rifle I have ever shot that gives me such an issue. And that's out of many, many rifles in my day. My GPR is basically the same style but it has a cheek pad/ Monte Carlo style stock. The drop is not exact but close. It gives me no problems what so ever.

This gives me pause due to the fact that I really would like to get a small caliber SMR some day. But I've never even seen one in real life. So until I can get to tinker with one and ascertain the stock is not going to be an issue, I won't be buying a SMR.

LOP is not the issue.

Last edited:
"Where theres a will theres a way" ! It is easy to do just about anything when we are telling someone else how to do it! LOL!
If it works, it works, eh?

The only reason I had to use the corner of the table was due to the original rear sight on the Crockett. The rear sight on the GPR has been removed. Either way, Phill was correct, it worked.

Last edited:
I just did a little test. I must put my cheek down lower on the stock.

So what is causing this? I'm thinking the drop the comb of the stock.

I think you are right about the drop in the stock. I can’t think of a good way to explain it but I’ll give it a try.

Try adjusting your stance, more open (chest to the target) or closed to ”fit” the stock. I think the relationship is the more your stance is open or closed the further back or forwards your head is in the stock essentially raising or lowering your eye in relation to the sights due to the drop between the comb and heel.

Whenever I ask about a rifle, or smooth bore, I always ask: What is the LOP? What is the drop at Comb, and the Drop at Heel? Without those three numbers, you have no idea what the "fit" will be. when I first had a gun made for me, TVM (Matt Avance) was adamant that we establish what those measurements were FOR ME. Every gun I have made or bought since then, has had to measure up to those three numbers, or they do not fit and require a lot of "adjustments." that means moving your head/neck around to see the sights in a natural shooting position. All "adjustments" take you off your natural point of aim. Some degree of "cast off" or "cast on" can be accommodated,
but not length and drop.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
Honestly, I think some folks over-think LOP.

IMO If LOP is that critical then one best use only the same exact attire while hunting/shooting. LOP has never given me a problem out of many, many different firearms I have owned and/or shot in 55+ years.

The only reason why I even thought about it was due to the ongoing issue with this one ML. I thought that, considering I am laid up recovering from a recent hip replacement, it would be the easiest thing to begin with. I cannot get out and shoot. Heck, I'm basically under what I call house arrest. I'm not suppose to go out of the house.

With that said, just from the easy tests I have done right here in the house, it has become obvious that it is most likely the drop of the stock and/or the actual design itself that is the problem. I believe I have that one figured out but its going to take some actual test shooting to prove it. I have thought of ways to prove my suspicions on this.

As previously stated, my "want bumps" are itching big time for a SMR. But I will not consider one unless I can actually get one in my hands to test it. The last thing I want is to spend a bunch of money on a ML that I might have the same issue with as the one I'm dealing with now.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think some folks over-think LOP.

IMO If LOP is that critical then one best use only the same exact attire while hunting/shooting. LOP has never given me a problem out of many, many different firearms I have owned and/or shot in 55+ years.

The only reason why I even thought about it was due to the ongoing issue with this one ML. I thought that, considering I am laid up recovering from a recent hip replacement, it would be the easiest thing to begin with. I cannot get out and shoot. Heck, I'm basically under what I call house arrest. I'm not suppose to go out of the house.

With that said, just from the easy tests I have done right here in the house, it has become obvious that it is most likely the drop of the stock and/or the actual design itself that is the problem. I believe I have that one figured out but its going to take some actual test shooting to prove it. I have thought of ways to prove my suspicions on this.

As previously stated, my "want bumps" are itching big time for a SMR. But I will not consider one unless I can actually get one in my hands to test it. The last thing I want is to spend a bunch of money on a ML that I might have the same issue with as the one I'm dealing with now.
It is a definite consideration. One of our club members has a Kibler, I think it is the Colonial. It doesn't fit any of us well, and he is going to sell it. My Woodsrunner fits everyone fine, although I find it a tad short in shirt sleeve weather, yet it works well for cold weather shooting. Half inch difference in length matters.

Latest posts

Back