• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking To Upgrade Factory Nipple...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any safe aftermarket replacements?

I have never seen an unsafe aftermarket or original nipple for that matter. Every aftermarket nipple I have ever seen/used was better quality than any original nipple. I recommend you stay away from nipples made by the gun manufacturers like Uberti, Pietta, etc. as you can buy much better. The hole in most aftermarket nipples is smaller than the factory one but no matter what the size they all erode with use. Heavier powder charges and heavier bullets cause higher breech pressures which speed the process. The size of the hole may contribute to or detract from accuracy which is why many shooters monitor the erosion and replace the nipple regularly. I have never seen the need for any of the "hot-shot" type nipples.

Hammer blowback can be caused by one or more issues. Heavy loads, a weak mainspring or a too large hole in the nipple or any combination of the aforementioned. I shot an all original 1861 Springfield and that included the nipple that was screwed into it the day it left the arsenal for a number of years. The hole in that nipple was so large that when I pulled the hammer back to cap the powder was flush with the top of the nipple. My charge was a .41 Henry rimfire case of 3f which I seem to remember was 50 grains. I never had a moment's problem with the hammer lifting or anything else either and won my first first place gold at a national match with it.

Again, the nipple that came in the gun is adequate and safe for plinking and informal shooting. If one gets into punching paper and looking for medals then it needs to be replaced.

If you buy a used gun, reproduction or original, I recommend removing the nipple and examining it and the threads in the breech before firing. I once bought an original underhammer and the first thing I did was pull the nipple. The threaded portion of the nipple had been broken leaving only about 1 1/2 threads to hold it. Had I fired it that way I might have had to remove the nipple from my forearm with a pair of pliers.

Sorry, I did not mean to suggest after factory stuff was unsafe. I have no data on safety. 100% of my experience is from helping someone on the National team to develop a better nipple. Their guns run a lot higher chamber pressure, because they are shooting out to 1,200 yards, so they use exceptionally small flash holes, on the order of 0.025" diameter. The high pressure erodes these holes, so they have a limited life as the hole enlarges and more backflow occurrs. My work with him involved making nipples out of Inconel and Hastalloy, though these did not exhibit superior flame erosion resistance. We ended up finding an obscure stainless alloy that worked better.

The motivation for a hot flash nipple was driven by my friend's observation that about 1 out of 20 rounds, there is a slight hesitation of ignition, where you pull the trigger, the primer goes pop, and then nothing. And about half way between you thinking 'oh, ...' and '****!' the thing fires. According to him, the hotflash nipples we developed eliminated this issue, and made his ignition a lot more reliable.

A local gunsmith told me due to the small diameter airway on a factory nipple, just like the stem on a briar smoking pipe, better opening of the airway, like installing an aftermarket nipple, promotes better, hotter powder igniting. :dunno:
I had the same issue with my 1861 Springfield repro. I used a Track of the Wolf nipple and it fixed the issue. I recommend them.

Back