• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for info on Marshall Hooker rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdm.1276

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for any information, year, maker etc, on a Marshall Hooker muzzle loader rifle in the family. It has a heavy octagon shaped barrel and inscribed with the following, W.M. Large For Marshall Hooker " Old Bangall ". On other side it says R.L. Hooker. On the butt brass plate it has 3.c. 113. I am new to this site and did not see where to post photos or would have, Thank you...

Unable to post photo's, would be happy to e-mail photo's upon request, thank you.

Marshall Hooker is well-known in muzzle loading circles. He was an author who wrote a notable work on muzzle loading firearms. The title is "Born Out of Season" and it covers a wide range of subjects relating to the sport and specifically Hookers days covering the same ground the old timers walked. The book is available from the NMLRA. Bill Large was an early member of the NMLRA and well-known maker of guns and specifically of barrels. When he retired he sold his barrel-making equipment to Green River Rifle Works, now defunct, and the barrels he made and GRRW made using his equipment were and are outstanding. I have one of them. Hooker has been gone for many years and Large retired sometime in the late 60s and has also passed but the gun is, relatively speaking, modern-made as both men were active in the 20th c.

There are instructions on how to post photos elsewhere on the site but it requires you do set up an account on a site like Photobucket to do so. Would love to see the gun. I'm sure it is a good one!

Thank you MacRob46, for info on Bill Large, my wife was Hookers step-granddaughter in the late 60's and have several of his personal property, the long rifle has been in the family for some time now was curious on the rifle, if you can e-mail me at [email protected] I will send you some photo's.

I knew Marshall. He lived in southern Missouri at several locations until he passed. We used to visit him occasionally. He had an undocumented Daniel Boone rifle and made copies of it he sold. Truth be known, his rifles were not very well made. Do buy and read his book, very entertaining and does have some interesting history, from his perspective, of ca. 1950-1960 era in southern MO and northern Arkansas. He was a one of a kind, no doubt.

Thank you Rifleman1776, yes we have several of his books, my wife was the one bit by his wolf he had at one time, he traveled many trails during his days, he traded his Daniel Boone for cattle it was said.

Thanks for the photos. I would say that this gun was produced by Mr. Hooker, using a Bill Large barrel. As noted above, Mr. Hooker was not an expert gun builder and your gun was obviously not built by an expert. All that being said, it undoubtedly has an excellent barrel on it and should shoot well - it just ain't very pretty.

An overview of the whole gun would be helpful. The photos were quite clear and detailed.

MacRob46 I totally agree, quality of workmanship is by far not the best, I am sending you more photo's on e-mail ( till I can figure out how to post them ) Are you able to give any info on maybe what year(s) if could have been made, thanks...

Yes, the more I research Hooker, the more fascinating he seems to have been, My father in-law, Tony Dismuke was at one time his step-son and they shot competition together, Tony is now elderly and unable to provide much info. We do also have the Colt 45, which is seen holding by him in his book, which is the same gun, he shot his wolf with that bit my wifes finger tip off, lol... Very interesting man!

My God! That's what happens when you let your 5 year old stamp your lock.

e54908bf-6108-4a2d-ba24-1ec46bcaf592_zps2fa51c40.jpg

Back