• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new here too this forum I hope too find what I am looking for here.I am looking for a production flintlock 50 cal.It must shoot good and not a pile of junk,must easy to find parts for.I was looking at a traditions and put a L&R lock on it.But I do not not know if that is possible putting a L&R RPL lock on it.I know Lyman made I think in flint but not now(I maybe wrong on that)Please help me out on a good production fint pistol.

Thanks For looking
Jason K

For a Kentucky style flint, Traditions and Pedersoli are about the only two. Traditions sells the trapper, which I have and dislike immensly. Lymans pistol comes only in percussion and despite a few letters written by us folks in Pa, Lyman shows no inclination to offer a flint.

If a smoothbore will do, there are a few offerrings, like North star West's trade pistol.

Unfortunately the days of the reasonably priced flint pistols went south along with the dollar's rate of exchange. Don't over look a later model CVA if you can find one. Many of the parts are the same (or nearly so) as the Traditions. I have considered buying a lesser quality to put an L&R lock on, but that involved some inletting and an extra $125.00. Some semi custom pistol kits are available for around that total.

Ok,
I already have a smoothbore I built that is Y I am looking for a 50cal.Plus I have alot of 50cal patchs,ball,cleaning tools and etc..Yea there is not much for the picking out there anymore.lol.That smoothbore is nice that you said too look at.Later I mite have to pick one up.

thanks for the reply
Jason

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I think that the L&R replacement locks are for the rifles and are a bit too big for use on the pistols.

As was mentioned, the number of flintlock pistols is pretty limited.

You might check around for a used one.
Generally speaking, the ones made in Italy are pretty good but some of the older ones made in Spain have soft frizzens and don't spark well.

As a side note, CVA used to be the big traditional muzzleloader importers and they bought all of their sidelock guns from Ardesa, a company in Spain.
That is the same company that Traditions currently buys their sidelock guns (pistols and rifles) from.
From what I've read, the newer Ardesa imports have better locks on them but, IMO the Italian guns are better.

If a smoothbore .50 will work, Pedersoli makes a Queen Anne style pistol and you may be able to find a used one. If you do, be sure to let us know because unmodified it doesn't have very positive ignition.
I found the problem and came up with a solution if your handy with a drill and a tap. I can link you to my fix for it here on the Forum.

I would look at Pedersoli. Good quality, nicely made and a nice variety of models. Couple of the guys in our club have one and it shoots well and is pretty darn accurate (to my demise :surrender: )

Cheers, Don

I have the Traditions in percussion and it shoots very well, can't offer advice on the flint version. I had a Jukar-CVA in flint 30 years ago and it went boom every time. I would be inclined to go for the Pedersoli if the price is not a big concern. A better looking pistol and possibly better quality parts.

Don't overlook the possibility of buying a used custom pistol. If you keep your eyes open and know what you want, you can find very nice guns at reasonable prices. Especially if you are looking for a .50 caliber. That is a very common caliber in custom pistols. The .50 caliber pistol below was made by Jack Garner and I picked it up for $350.

Rowland

50CalJGTenneseesmall.jpg

I have the Pedersoli Kentucky and have not experienced any problems with it. Ignition is fast, reliable and flints last. The only thing I did is a trigger job to lighten up the trigger pull.

It wins medals.

RDE

The Traditions pistols are about the cheapest at the Possible Shop. I spent several hours checking. Not their fan, just a fact.

I think I am going with a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol..Thanks for all the info everyone you all have been helpful with the subject.I will be putting more posts on soon..

Thanks everyone
Jason

PS:If you or know someone with a good used flint pistol let me know..I will be in the market here soon.

The Pedersoli is a good choice. As mentioned the trigger ain't the best. I installed a single set on mine. It's won me a few.
Jon D

Back