• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long rifle ramrod length?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else make their ramrods longer to ease cleaning or loading in the field?
20221015_130603.jpg
20221015_130653.jpg

No. My in the field is thick woods hunting. That would be a good way to snag the brush.
If you want to be clever you could make a 6" extension that screws into a metal rod tip at the other end of the rod. Keep it in your bag until needed. The extra length would be handy for pulling a dry ball.

No. My in the field is thick woods hunting. That would be a good way to snag the brush.
If you want to be clever you could make a 6" extension that screws into a metal rod tip at the other end of the rod. Keep it in your bag until needed. The extra length would be handy for pulling a dry ball.
Never thought of that, but I don't hunt; just targets. Good tip.

Anyone else make their ramrods longer to ease cleaning or loading in the field? View attachment 168521View attachment 168522
Not here. Just a branch or vegetation catcher asking to be busted off, which doesn’t ease cleaning or loading. Means a trip back to the cabin if I need to reload. I don’t hunt on golf courses or in open pastures. Actually prefer the ramrod set a little back from the muzzle.

Every vintage Civil War photo I've seen that rifles/muskets are in view all have the RR prominently beyond the muzzle.

Anyone else make their ramrods longer to ease cleaning or loading in the field? View attachment 168521View attachment 168522

Nope. When the rod sticks out past the barrel every shot blows grease and black fouling on it and it makes everything a little messier
Also, in extreme cases where the rod sticks out several inches past the muzzle the rod is more likely to snag on something and getting cracked or broken.

Ramrod always long, especially on my smaller bored rifles. Makes it much easier to plunge a .350 ball down a fouled barrel in the field.

Yep as stated about a inch. Never had a problem in brush. Also it makes for a good grab if a quick re-load is needed especially in cold weather.

Back