• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod for .62 Cal Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building a .62 Flintlock Carbine. The hardware from TRS are for a Bess, ("Officers Carbine" parts, actually) including the Ramrod pipes.
My question is about steel rammers (yes, the Baker Rifle had a steel rammer).
Won't a steel rammer do a number on the rifling?
Inquiring minds would like to know. 🥴

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they use a softer steel than they use for the barrel than they do for the ramrods. It keeps sparking down also.

You could use one of these ramrod bushings.
rod-guide_1.jpg

I believe Track sells them in different sizes. Pretty easy to make youself .
Robin

That’s for a Range Rod. Not what I am looking for but thanks
They were made for a looser load, is it smoothbore? While I’m sure some baker style officers fusils were made I’ve only seen the bess style fine fusils.
If smooth your load shouldn’t need a lot of pressure to drive home.
Should you shoot tight, a wiping stick may be in order as thin rods are hard to grasp
Most rifles of the day came with pretty thin rods 3/8 often in guns over .54. Paintings and records often refer to extra wiping sticks being carried

They were made for a looser load, is it smoothbore? While I’m sure some baker style officers fusils were made I’ve only seen the bess style fine fusils.
If smooth your load shouldn’t need a lot of pressure to drive home.
Should you shoot tight, a wiping stick may be in order as thin rods are hard to grasp
Most rifles of the day came with pretty thin rods 3/8 often in guns over .54. Paintings and records often refer to extra wiping sticks being carried
It’s rifled, which is why I’m thinking a steel rod is needed for such a large caliber.
I may have to make one: probably modify a Bess ramrod by soldering a piece of brass or copper on the tip.

Get a brass rod. I believe you can get a brass rod for some of the .69 smoothbores that were used in the Civil War. Check out "Northeast Trade co." he might have some. If they are .69 cal, you can turn the tulip end down.
I use brass rods on all my muskets, and rifles that have/had them.

Dave

Latest posts

Back