• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titus

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone can shed some light for me on what kind of steel is fit for making a flint lock. Ive got a few components which I want to get together into a complete lock but I do not know what kind of steel I should use. Ive got access to a lot of mildsteel, but Ive got a funny feeling that this wont work. :hmm:

Thanks Mike. How does wrought Iron compare in hardness to normal run of the mill commercial mild steel?

Wrought iron is dead soft. You can make your plate out of mild steel and case harden it.

Thanks Mike. :bow: Knew I would get a sensible answer here. :hatsoff: :grin:

You can make most everything from mild steel and case harden it. You can do the frizzen this way, but it would be better if it were a through hardening steel like 1070 or 1095, which would be good for the springs.

While I have made many parts for locks, I have yet to make myself a complete lock from scratch. I have a lockplate started, and eventually I'll get around to finishing it.

I had the local machine shop make me up some "blank tumblers". Basically a 1" diameter, 1/4" thick wheel of mild steel with one shaft 3/8" and the other shaft 3/16", which I can turn to dimension on my "lathe" (chucked into a big drill held in my lap). I've made one tumbler so far, and it has worked pretty well.

Titus said:
Ive got access to a lot of mildsteel, but Ive got a funny feeling that this wont work. :hmm:

As Mike said, case hardened mild steel will work well. Though I haven't done it, I have read of folks using 1/4 thick angle iron to make frizzens. I don't remember how the foot and tail were formed, but cutting and twisting one leg of the angle for the foot and tail might work, as should forging or welding a blank piece of plate on to the back of the pan cover.

The face of the frizzen can be case hardened, or a high carbon steel face, brazed onto the frizzen, can be hardened and tempered.

keep us posted on the build.

Thanks for all the info guys. :bow:

I will post pics once I start and as I go along. :thumbsup:

Back