• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lock inleting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike0677

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am all most ready to start inleting the lock on my first flint rifle . Ive read a couple difrent things on the height from the center of the touch hole to the bottom of the pan what works best for fastest ignition thanks mike

I really do suggest inletting the lock first then drilling the touch-hole. Regardless, the touch hole should be about even with a line drawn across the top edges of the pan and centered fore and aft. Make sure the frizzen covers the touch hole when closed! Do not get it too high but well up out of the trough is important. If the powder needs to burn down, ignition will be slower.

If it is a Precarve & the lock is partially inletted, go ahead & get it 7/8 of the way inletted as it has to go where they started ya.

Remove the breechplug & lay it along the barrel at the breech & mark the face ends on the flat the vent liner or touchhole will go.

Now lay the vent liner where you want it to be on the barrel & mark the Center of it on the barrel. (You should have 2 vertical marks on the barrel flat now.

Make a dot in the middle of the flat on the vent liner center line. (I centerpunch mine)

Now inlet the barrel so the dot is at the center of the pan on the top edge of it. (So if you look straight across the pan you can just see 1/2 of the dot)

Get that all inletted & lined up right & then put the breechplug back in & inlet the tang. Bent the tang to shape Before inlettingor you will have a gap at the end of the tang.
:thumbsup:

PS: I would not drill the vent liner hole yet in case you have to move the barrel a tad one way or another. You can drill this anytime later on.

Thanks for the help guys . the only problem is ive allready installed the touch hole liner when i made the breech plug wasnt thinking :confused: I guess ill have to be careful sence im doing it backwards thanks again

Well, if the lock is not a preinlet one you may be able to put it wheere ya want it, and you want the vent hole at the top edge of the pan horizonally, and center of the pan vertically looking. If it is already preinlet & you have to put it where it is, sometimes you can shim the barrel up if necessary if you have not removed any wood at the yop og yjr ntrrvh/tang area & have some extra wood there on top.

And if it is inlet & no wood to removbe, the vent will be where you drilled it, unless ya plug it & redrill & etc.

Back