• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading shot without wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct, I do use a 5/8" punch and not a 3/8", I wasn't paying attention when I typed it the other day. My bad.

Bounty paper towel tow or brown paper or news print works as good or better than modern wads . In the day of Matchlock ,Flintlock Percussion muskets and fowlers wads as we know them were not around it was until the very tail end of the muzzleloading era that they appeared .The problem is the old method can set the fields woods or fields onfire be careful !What I do which reduces the fire risk is I soak my tow in solution of Boraxo and water then let it dry borax is fire retardent and spray paper towels newsprint etc with same solution enough to dampen it using old windex bottle and let that dry and I have greatly reduced the fire hasard Then have plenty of good wadding .But that me.In the day I dont think they were all that concerned about it .As far as plastic wads never never use plastic wads never use them .Back in 1980s saboted balls were being touted as the greatest thing since powdered toast .Nothing could be further from the truth.Black powder melts plastic that plastic is deposited with black powder fouling especially in breech area it is difficult to remove if you don't get it good you will ruin your barrel .Their is no reason to use or shuold you use plastic shotwads unless you are prepared to to clean up real mess

Bounty paper towel tow or brown paper or news print works as good or better than modern wads . In the day of Matchlock ,Flintlock Percussion muskets and fowlers wads as we know them were not around it was until the very tail end of the muzzleloading era that they appeared .The problem is the old method can set the fields woods or fields onfire be careful !What I do which reduces the fire risk is I soak my tow in solution of Boraxo and water then let it dry borax is fire retardent and spray paper towels newsprint etc with same solution enough to dampen it using old windex bottle and let that dry and I have greatly reduced the fire hasard Then have plenty of good wadding .But that me.In the day I dont think they were all that concerned about it .As far as plastic wads never never use plastic wads never use them .Back in 1980s saboted balls were being touted as the greatest thing since powdered toast .Nothing could be further from the truth.Black powder melts plastic that plastic is deposited with black powder fouling especially in breech area it is difficult to remove if you don't get it good you will ruin your barrel .Their is no reason to use or shuold you use plastic shotwads unless you are prepared to to clean up real mess
Irishmusket, You are absolutely correct on not using plastic. I have heard of some using it, but no knowledge on how it worked out. In my various shotguns I have always used wads of one sort or another, depending on which wad gave the best pattern in that particular shotgun. Have you truly patterned news print and such and have excellent patterns with such.? Doc,

Ended up using some fibre chair stoppers and patches. There was a complete lack of consistency at every point even the pellets were a mix of 4s and 6s but had a blast just firing it for the first time.

Had a few clacks and a couple of flash in the pans, when it ignited it was near instantaneous. Ended up using 2F as a priming powder and after today probably won't change.

Of interest, I didn't even notice the mini explosion going off near my face, not sure why but just doesn't bother me.

Three shots at 27 yards.
20211102_112747.jpg

Bang!
Screenshot_20211102-130912_Gallery.jpg

Ended up using some fibre chair stoppers and patches. There was a complete lack of consistency at every point even the pellets were a mix of 4s and 6s but had a blast just firing it for the first time.

Had a few clacks and a couple of flash in the pans, when it ignited it was near instantaneous. Ended up using 2F as a priming powder and after today probably won't change.

Of interest, I didn't even notice the mini explosion going off near my face, not sure why but just doesn't bother me.

Three shots at 27 yards.
View attachment 102319

Bang!
View attachment 102320
Excellent!!! So glad you got out and had a good time. You can work on "ideal" patterns later.

Back