• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamu

36 Cal.
Reaction score
So I went out to do some range time. My load was 65 grains of 2f,over powder card, a cushion wad lubed with olive oil, bare 600 ball with a over the shot card to lock it all down. Shot a 3 shot group that was about 3 inches low and 3 inches to the right. This was at 50 yards. My Fowler has a single sight up front. I had to leave the range and didn't have time to keep working. The sight is pretty short so what's y'all thought to pull it up about 3 inches. O it is a 62 cal that I built last year.

That's good going.
I have to look with some bias on the left of the tang to compensate for some right impacts.
See a little more barrel for elevation.
You certainly can make a good gun and shoot one :hatsoff:

B.

Thanks ya'll for the info... right now when I get my sight picture I just see the barrel flat and I bit of front sight.. I tried using the tang screw as the back sight and I can see it only in perfect conditions..

Kamu, listen to the 2 turkeys, er, I mean gentlemen above. None finer on the board. I've found they even know what they are talking about from time to time. :haha:

Keep practicing, Skychief.

I might go for a little more powder. Of course if it opens the group, then that’s no good, but I shoot a .58, with 75gr of 2f and that works for me.

There have been a lot of posts on this subject recently. First, do a lot more shooting to get the feel of your gun and learn head placement. Check out the posts made by Dave Person. He has it nailed.

Not in your question, but say it anyway. I have a rear sight on mine and it makes a major difference.......for me, at least. :eek:ff

being a laborer I have a large collection of holy/torn/worn out T-shirts and old underwear that work GREAT as patching in my .62 / 20 ga. NWG.
I use pre-cut +/- 1" squares under .595 RB and get surprisingly (to me) good accuracy .

Now I need to spend more range time working out my #4 & 00 Buck loads......#7 patterns beautifully but the other 2 doughnut badly.

My experience, with my smooth bore, (Brown Bess) has been that it likes a small-ball/thick patch combination. It is also more accurate with a heavy powder charge, rather than a light charge. Paper cartridges work good for me, where the thickness of the paper makes a reasonably snug fit. But not as accurate as a patched ball. Patched "chewed" balls seem to be the most accurate in my Bess. But normally I shoot a .690" ball with a denim patch. When I "chew" the ball (don't really, use two rasps) it increases the diameter, and I have to go to a thick pillow ticking patch. I also have a rear sight on my Bess, which I made as period-correct looking as possible...same as what would have been on a rifle of the period. I soldered it directly to the barrel, so it does not sit on a base, or in a dove-tail, or anything like that.

Back