• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Little brass cannon, again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bringing out this old thread for this year's 4th of July. I got a package of firecrackers left over from Christmas so I might just get out and celebrate (if it isn't too hot)

How's the nephew doing?

Still grinning, I hope. He went to live with his mother and really needs that "male-role-model" thing in his life. Sad really

I used to love fire crackers. I don't know how many cannons, rifles, and pistols I made that I used them in. Slide the cracker in and make sure the fuse stuck out of the end, throw a bunch of BB's, rocks and whatever down the barrel and light it... I made a cannon out of a block of wood, a pipe and an old hinge. I drilled a hole in one side of the hinge and attached it to the block of wood. The hole fit over the pipe I drove into the hole I drilled in the block of wood. I pushed all sorts of things into the back of the "barrel" then slid a fire cracker in and made sure the fuse stuck out the side. I then closed the hinge as a breech plug. I had a bar that held the hinge closed tight, and lit the fuse. Cool boom and stuff flew out the barrel. I miss those days...
I used a short piece of brass tube with a pipe cap on the end and a 1/16 hole drilled through it for the fuse.

The bore was just a little bigger around than the firecracker. Firecracker would actually throw a bullet weight a fairly respectable little distance out of the end. Maybe 150 ft.

Remembering a July 4th decades ago. Bunch of us at a waterfront house on the Great Bay in NJ. Philly fireman shows up with a shopping bag of confiscated fireworks, gets drunk, heads out to the end of the dock to set them off. Drops a lit cigarette in the bag and doesn't even notice. At least he had enough sense left to jump into the water.

Firecrackers were a heck of a lot more powerful when I was a kid. Can't get m-80's or cherry bombs any more. Used to et some kind of golf ball sized thing, when you threw it down there was a bang, not extremely so, but an instant huge pillar of smoke. The sort of thing magicians in the movies would use. I recently found one in a box of stuff that I had left in my mother's attic. After 60 years it was a dud, but brought back so many memories. I remember dropping lit black cats down an old mortar tube my uncle had from surplus That was back before the government got so picky about what private citizens had..

Latest posts

Back