• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Little brass cannon, again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
Last year I posted a picture of my little brass cannon, the kind you pop firecrackers in. And I think we had a pretty fair discussion on it. This year we are combining a 4th of July with a young boys birthday party. Do you think it would be appropriate for a 10 year old boy to play with it and the firecrackers?We more than likely were old pros at fireworks at that age, but times are different. Several grandmas and aunts will be there. A firecracker burn used to be a "badge of honor".

20210702_182957.jpg

With intense supervision, hell yes! The womenfolks will recoil in horror, but young men must learn responsibility with weaponry, and earn the trust they need. The Govt. goons don't want us to raise our young men and women as warriors. Screw that! Let freedom ring, that freedom that the Fourth of July stands for, E Cinco de Mayo, Hermano!

City boy, a great great nephew so I really don't have alot of say so. But personally I like the idea and he desperately needs a male role model. His Dad lives in Austin, the "San Francisco of Texas".

If your nephew shows interest, go for it. For the 4th, New Year’s and anytime I want to make noise, I load up a short barreled smoothbore blunderbuss with whatever excess powder I have under a cotton ball. Kids young and old seem to love shooting it. Only complaint I’ve ever had was from a groundskeeper (aka, the sister in law) not caring for the shredded cotton balls littering her yard.

Tell please how that anvil thing worked.
I really can't give alot of details as I was one of the "little kids" who weren't allowed to get too close.(those strict aunts and grandmas, you know)But the base of an anvil is hollowed out some, A little powder goes under the base, it's set of by fuse or powder trail.Boom, the anvil flies up in the air spinning. There was always a stronger, older cousin around to dig the anvil out of the ground where it halfway buried itself in the dirt when comming down, (there were no soft landings). I don't ever recall any mishaps though. That's one reason I was a spectator and not a participant. I was too young to pick up an anvil, now I'm too old. It wasn't one of the bigger anvils but still too heavy for me.I would recommend looking it up on youtube. They got a pretty good video or two on the subject.Enjoy!

Hell at 10 we were making cannons out of electrical conduit.
I used to love fire crackers. I don't know how many cannons, rifles, and pistols I made that I used them in. Slide the cracker in and make sure the fuse stuck out of the end, throw a bunch of BB's, rocks and whatever down the barrel and light it... I made a cannon out of a block of wood, a pipe and an old hinge. I drilled a hole in one side of the hinge and attached it to the block of wood. The hole fit over the pipe I drove into the hole I drilled in the block of wood. I pushed all sorts of things into the back of the "barrel" then slid a fire cracker in and made sure the fuse stuck out the side. I then closed the hinge as a breech plug. I had a bar that held the hinge closed tight, and lit the fuse. Cool boom and stuff flew out the barrel. I miss those days...

I made a cannon maybe 35 years ago and my younger son used it yesterday with his daughters. I was a pipefitter/welder so it was easy, 2" pipe barrel welded to a 2-1/2" reducer, short piece of 2-1/2 and then a weld cap. The touch hole was 1/4" and you would either put a paper cup over over the barrel or load it with a tennis ball. Fill the chamber with O2/act from your B-Tank and use a BBQ lighter to set it off. My boys sure had fun with that thing, you got the boom and used to have contests how far it would throw the ball. I figure it was safer than my taking them to little league on the back of my motorcycle.

I'm bringing out this old thread for this year's 4th of July. I got a package of firecrackers left over from Christmas so I might just get out and celebrate (if it isn't too hot)

Latest posts

Back