• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I can’t take credit for my cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a couple cannons that were made by my grandfather, my dad and his friends. Kind of a long story but here goes.

My grandfather used to have a salmon fishing camp up in Stuart Island B.C. and family and friends would fly up in the seaplane almost every weekend all summer. They managed to find a cannon that was cemented to a rock outcropping that overlooked a North-South passage. After much discussion, and realizing they couldn’t transport it, my grandfather convinced my Dad to hike up there and trace a copy of it with a cardboard template. When they returned home, my Dad turned a wooden pattern on a lathe. To the best of my knowledge, because I’ve never seen the original, I believe this is a quarter scale.

One of the group owned Atlas Foundry in Tacoma and Joe took the wood pattern there to make a mold and to have six blanks cast in steel. Later, in my time, I heard that the night crew were making blanks for themselves and I’ve heard the number 28 several times. When the group found out, the mold was destroyed.

The blanks were then taken to Western Right Machine to have the trunions turned, touch hole and bore drilled.

Dave Fogg, who was also the Sargent of Arms at Fort Nisqually, was the mastermind that was in charge of design and function. Dave also made the carriages out of walnut and turned brass wheels for it.

Throughout my life, this cannon was used at every birthday, funeral and holiday throughout the year. I grew up with it and was put in charge of it around the age of 16. They was forty plus years ago.

Now, I only shoot it on Fourth of July. The only reason being a lack of an appropriate location since family sold the lake house after my Grandfather passed.

I usually only load five ounces of Fg and newspaper wadding. More powder doesn’t make it louder is seems to just be harder on the carriage.

I’ll try to load a video.

Attachments

• IMG_9847.MOV
    20.3 MB
Very very nice. That is really a nice cannon and the history makes it personal to you. I can't get over how much it recoils with a blank charge. And it appears it is recoiling up a slope also. I would say that is a full load for that weight of cannon. What a prize.

I researched CUP pressure, and for cast steel and the bore diameter, I was way way under (like half) max pressure. I worry more about the carriage but also figure it’s my turn to make the next one if it breaks. :)

Thanks for the reply

How cool!

Every time I played it through, it made me jump. :)

My big question is, what about rescuing the original at the fishing camp???

Who knows if it is still there 55 years later but I am positive that; while my grandfather had no fear of anything, I on the other hand respect that British Columbian officials may frown on a U.S. citizen removing a historical artifact. (?) that is just my guess, but if it is still there and we could get permission… I say ABSOLUTELY!

Another video.

Attachments

• IMG_9855.MOV
    38.3 MB
Yeah, I see the problem. It's not just the rescue any more (which wouldn't be easy) but a bunch more as well.

How big IS that sucker? Hard to tell from the angle. Bore? length? weight?

The barrel is about 36” with just over a two inch bore. The barrel weight is about 250-300lbs and the carriage is another 70lbs.

I don’t know if you can read the nameplate but these guys had a sense of humor.

1658043336204.jpeg

1658043362932.jpeg

Back