• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.J.

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Where can a feller get leather at a decent price? I have been keeping an eye on e-bay,but haven't been real impresses with the offerings. I hope to hit a couple Amish harness shops this weekend, but they may not have what I need. What I want is some smooth 4 or 5 oz natural leather. I inquired at Brettuns Villlage,but got no response. Anybody have a good source? Thanks a bunch,Marshal.

google up Kentucky Leather or Spotted Pony Leather, both good with good variaty and decent prices, easy to work with too

Well it depends on what you call a decent price. I do buy from Tandy when I want something specific however I'm not below scrounging and FREE or next to it is hard to beat. Speaking of FREE, I got yards and yards of fine corinthian leather from a tossed out full sized couch that was busted up on the inside fine couch hide on the outside. Good aged looking stuff to boot.

I'd check your local Goodwill, Thrift store, flea markets, yard sales, dumpsters ( yea I dive as well). You might just come up with a trophy like I did. :rotf: good luck!
Steve

While you're in the thrift stores, take a gander at the clothing racks. Some mighty fine leather shows up as coats and vests, even sometimes as pants. Out of principle, I've never paid more than $5 for any of them, and most are big enough for two bags. Got a full length leather duster once for $2, and that thing is going to make half a dozen bags easy. Soon as I work up the courage to cut up such a fine coat..... :surrender:

Hey thanks for all the links fellas :hatsoff:. I really appreciate it. I'm going to start checking them out right now. You guys are aces.

Don Powell said:
http://www.theleatherguy.org/

I know this feller, used to run the local vous circut,,he and his wife know leather and hides!

I've made some nice stuff out of what he calls scraps A++ dealer!

Wickett and Craig....they are an American tannery in Pennsylvania...great quality stuff...for veg tan cow hides they are the first folks I call..
TCA

Marshal said:
...... I hope to hit a couple Amish harness shops this weekend, but they may not have what I need. What I want is some smooth 4 or 5 oz natural leather. ............

If you hit a harness shop that hasn't got natural veg. tanned leather in 4 - 5 oz. weight, you have found one that shouldn't be in business, they'll have it. Do be aware that some don't always want to sell from their stock, but most will. Amish and Mennonite harness shops are great sources for not only leather but also experienced advice on a project, something most eBay sellers can't get close to.

Marshall - I get 90% of my leather from Weaver Leather. Good prices and good leather. Great service. The only downfall is you have to have a $50.00 minimum order. Lots of good sale prices also. Just another site to compair to.

Well, I hit one of the local harness shops today. Picked up a piece of dark carmel/light brown pebble finish 4oz to get me started in bag making. The price was right, and it will do nicely for the first couple trial and error bags. I will be ordering some other leather from a couple of the links all you fellers supplied. Once I get a grip on what it takes. Now I need to post another question or two. People here ar so helpfull,thanks again,Marshal

FWIW, don't let that 4 oz get ahead of you. It can be pretty thick for smaller bags, especially when it comes to turning them. Lighter leather than that is definitely easier to work with on your first attempts. Tandy has 2.5-3 oz veg tanned "kip" sides on sale right now at $49, or roughly half price. They run around 18 square feet, making it a heck of a buy for a big piece of leather.

I just finished making one of TC Albert's North Hampton bags out of 4 oz, and it's way thick for my tastes. There are some spots in that pattern where you have to pierce 5 layers of leather with your awl, and that's no place to be on a first build.

That "too heavy" business is a first impression, but frank. I'm going to make another of some of that kip side just to see what's what, and I think I'll like it a lot better.

Marshal, Not sure where you are located in PA but there is a Tandy outlet in Harrisburg I believe it is on Cameron st. Miles

Back