• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buff Leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for a source for "buff leather", which seems to have become as scarce as hens teeth. If anyone out there is aware of any tannery or leather supply warehouse which is still offering true buff leather, meaning the method by which it is tanned and not the color, I would appreciate the contact information. I inquired with Booth & Co., but according to them, they are likewise unable to locate buff leather and have been unsuccessful in locating any tanneries which are still willing to make it. Thanks!

I haven't been able to find any since Booth was importing.
I checked with a number of sources I know that used to carry buff leather, but it seems most of them no longer carry it, because none of the tanneries are willing to produce it, primarily due to the steps and time commitment required. That said, I'm hoping perhaps some one here knows of at least one source or perhaps even has some buff leather left over from another project they might be willing to part with. Thanks for chiming in, Capt. Jas.!

Try Joe Najecki at Najecki.com. He’s cut some strap and pouch dividers for me in the past.

I did hear talk a couple of years ago that there was a small tannery out west that was producing some in small amounts but I can't come up with the information I once had on it.

I did hear talk a couple of years ago that there was a small tannery out west that was producing some in small amounts but I can't come up with the information I once had on it.
Yeah, I seem to recall that Montana Leather was going to produce it, but I don't think it went anywhere.

There is a tanner in Montana that supplies buff tanned deer. The leather shop in Williamsburg told me about it while I watched them sew up a pair of breeches. They wouldn’t tell me who it was or contact info though…

There is a tanner in Montana that supplies buff tanned deer. The leather shop in Williamsburg told me about it while I watched them sew up a pair of breeches. They wouldn’t tell me who it was or contact info though…
That's the one. I have the info somewhere.

So what exactly is “ buff leather”? I looked it up and see several different answers from bull elk hide to buffed deer hide.

So what exactly is “ buff leather”? I looked it up and see several different answers from bull elk hide to buffed deer hide.
Buff leather is/was made from thick cow or elk hides, and the tanning process for buff produces a leather that is supple but very tough and long wearing, and provides good protection when wearing it. For instance, a cordwainers or shoemakers traditional apron is made using a sheeps skin with a piece of buff leather sewn to the top as the chest portion. In that profession, very sharp knives are used to make cuts in leather, and often times the cordwainer by necessity has to draw the knife towards themselves. So, if the knife "skips" or suddenly goes through the leather it is cutting, the buff will not allow the errant knife to cut through to the wearers chest. Does that help explain? Here is a site I found that has what I consider to be the best definition and explanation of buff leather: THE STRANGE HISTORY OF BUFF LEATHER- ITS ORIGINS AND MILITARY APPLICATIONS I'm taking lessons from a master cordwainer, if there is interest, I can post a pic of a cordwainers apron.

Buff leather is/was made from thick cow or elk hides, and the tanning process for buff produces a leather that is supple but very tough and long wearing, and provides good protection when wearing it. For instance, a cordwainers or shoemakers traditional apron is made using a sheeps skin with a piece of buff leather sewn to the top as the chest portion. In that profession, very sharp knives are used to make cuts in leather, and often times the cordwainer by necessity has to draw the knife towards themselves. So, if the knife "skips" or suddenly goes through the leather it is cutting, the buff will not allow the errant knife to cut through to the wearers chest. Does that help explain? Here is a site I found that has what I consider to be the best definition and explanation of buff leather: THE STRANGE HISTORY OF BUFF LEATHER- ITS ORIGINS AND MILITARY APPLICATIONS I'm taking lessons from a master cordwainer, if there is interest, I can post a pic of a cordwainers apron.
Got it thanks. I originally thought the OP was referring to buffalo leather. LOL
I’m really knew to all of this.

Back