• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah,I just found out this weekend there is one in Delmont too. About an hour from here. I ordered a couple things yesterday, and it came back confirmed from Delmont. I will be checking it out in person soon :wink:.

I started cutting out cardboard patterns this evening. Nothing period specific, just getting my feet wet so to speak. I've got a couple things I want to try. As much to satisfy my own curiousity as anything. Just to see if I can do it sort of stuff. Looking forward to a new project.

Marshal said:
I started cutting out cardboard patterns this evening. Nothing period specific, just getting my feet wet so to speak. I've got a couple things I want to try. As much to satisfy my own curiousity as anything. Just to see if I can do it sort of stuff. Looking forward to a new project.

Ah, you are SOOOOOOOOO hooked. Welcome aboard!!! :rotf:

Pretty soon you're going to have a bag for every rifle, a drawer full that didn't work out, and ideas for more. There's no end to it!

BrownBear said:
Marshal said:

Ah, you are SOOOOOOOOO hooked. Welcome aboard!!! :rotf:

Pretty soon you're going to have a bag for every rifle, a drawer full that didn't work out, and ideas for more. There's no end to it!
:rotf: :surrender:

Hey swampy. I might be wrong, but I think he is sayin baggers are kinda obsessed. What do you think. :grin:

Marshal said:
Hey swampy. I might be wrong, but I think he is sayin baggers are kinda obsessed. What do you think. :grin:

:haha: Brownbear makes a leather bag for everything. I'm still somewhat sane, I think.... :haha:

I'm slipping fast buddy. I don't know how long sanity will last here. I was off work today with my version of the swine, and made it to the kitchen table for more pattern making. How deranged is that! And I haven't pulled a stitch yet. BUT! My Tandy order may be here tomorrow :thumbsup: :grin: :wink:. I'm ready! Now if I just felt like cutting some pieces out. Maybe tomorrow..........maybe tomorrow :hmm:.

Marshal said:
I'm slipping fast buddy. I don't know how long sanity will last here. I was off work today with my version of the swine, and made it to the kitchen table for more pattern making. How deranged is that! And I haven't pulled a stitch yet. BUT! My Tandy order may be here tomorrow :thumbsup: :grin: :wink:. I'm ready! Now if I just felt like cutting some pieces out. Maybe tomorrow..........maybe tomorrow :hmm:.

Oh yeah! Well I'm laying here in bed in a back brace making My rifle a handmade scabbard! :rotf:

I guess there ain't much sanity around here. :blah:

Yep, there aint much hope for either one of us my friend. I hope you get back on your feet soon. Looks like I'm off again tomorrow. Oh yeah, don't forget to post the pics when you are back up and around. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

This is not ment to embarrass you at all and I hope you don't take it that way, just my sick humor. But it would be a hell of trick for me to get back up on my feet. :haha: It's been wheelchairs for me for 30 years now. :wink:

No offense taken buddy. I'm sorry to hear that. Please excuse my inappropriate coment. Now remember,scabbard pics! I bet it's a dandy :thumbsup:.

All I can say is don't buy cheap leather. Especially "vegetable tanned" cowhide. You will get cheap leather. Stretchy, spongy, soft. Besides the obviously cheap feel, it will often be very white or slightly pinkish. Better leather will usually be more tan, and definitely have a firmer "harder" surface.

Stophel said:
All I can say is don't buy cheap leather. Especially "vegetable tanned" cowhide. You will get cheap leather. Stretchy, spongy, soft. Besides the obviously cheap feel, it will often be very white or slightly pinkish. Better leather will usually be more tan, and definitely have a firmer "harder" surface.

Nothing at all wrong with vegetable tanned leather Chris. However, going by what you say highlighted above in red you may have gotten the belly of a hide. The bellies are (in)famous for being spongy and of uneven thickness and they run every which way - very difficult to work with and have a flesh side that is extremely stringy. But they sell well to the "cost conscious" and for some things they are fine, though I have yet to figure out what those things are. Veg tanned shoulders are the best but will be relatively expensive. Always best to buy from a reliable seller when possible. Examine first hand whenever possible.

Stophel said:

What Stophel said and why not buy American like TC Albert said? Most of the veg/bark tan leather sold through Tandy and others is imported - there are only two remaining tanneries left in the USA (the third one Muir & McDonald closed their doors in 2007) and once you use there leather I'm betting you won't go back to the imports:
1) Herman Oak Leather - Missouri - can be purchased from several retailers - go their website for a list
2) Wickett & Craig - www.wickett-craig.com - Pennsylvania -
My favorite (FWIW: I'm a full-time maker for over 40 years and use a lot of leather an IMO there is none better).
They sell online directly from the tannery although not all types/sizes are listed - best way is to call them - the 800 number is on their site.
For thinner leather you can buy a 8/10 oz side and have it split to whatever thickness you desire which gives an very clean back (it's how most thinner leathers are made anyway).
They also have monthly sales - currently 8/10 oz carving or saddlery can be purchased for $90.00 or $100.00 respectively - average sides are 24 sq ft which makes them highly competitve with the imports.
For those on a budget they sell excellent double shoulders which average 14 sq ft.

BTW - all American made veg tan is in fact bark tanned - they just use different types of bark and other veg tans such as sumac tanned are not necessarily bad, in fact sumac (still used in England) is one of the best methods when done right.

For commercial tanned hides like buckskin and elk hide: www.hideandfur.com www.coloradoleathergoods.com www.eidnesfurs.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to make myself a holster and belt, and need to get some GOOD quality 9-11 oz leather.

I need to make myself a holster and belt, and need to get some GOOD quality 9-11 oz leather.
Wickett & Craig currently has 8/10 oz or 10/12 oz Skirting on sale for $100.00 - $107.00 per side.
It comes on russett (natural) - or vat dyed chestnut, brown, and black

LaBonte said:
Wickett & Craig currently has 8/10 oz or 10/12 oz Skirting on sale for $100.00 - $107.00 per side.
It comes on russett (natural) - or vat dyed chestnut, brown, and black
Money well spent. :thumbsup:

Back