• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Ballbag - photo tutorial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc.knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I hope the pictures explain everything. If you have any doubt, ask :)

58.01.jpg

58.02.jpg

58.03.jpg

58.04.jpg

58.05.jpg

58.06.jpg

58.07.jpg

58.08.jpg

58.09.jpg

58.10.jpg

58.11.jpg

hot sand
58.12.jpg

58.13.jpg

58.14.jpg

After thorough drying, put the hot wax
58.15.jpg

58.16.jpg

58.17.jpg

58.18.jpg

Very Nice,

Straight forward and easy to follow tutorial thanks for sharing.

What type of leather are you using and how is it tanned when you get it ?

ApprenticeBuilder said:
What type of leather are you using and how is it tanned when you get it ?

I use vegetable-tanned leather
Thickness of about 1.5-2mm

Thanks for sharing that! Did you dye the wax, or is the natural color?
What type thread did you use?

flintlock62 said:
Did you dye the wax, or is the natural color?
What type thread did you use?

Color is achieved by soaking in hot wax.
It is plain beeswax.
Threads is a shoemaker's twine

Not being into leather crafts I really didn't know the process involved...thanks for sharing those informative photos !

:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing, always wondered how it's done. I like what you make and it's at ideal piece for our hobby. Whilst I won't be making my own it just shows the process for future reference. :hatsoff: "Doc"

Thanks; that's a very informative tutorial. I've made several by going through the basic steps you outlined but your skill far exceeds mine. Where did you get your tools; especially the stitching wheel?

I am trying to learn leather working, so I have a question. What is the purpose of dunking in the hot wax?

hanshi said:
Where did you get your tools; especially the stitching wheel?

Tools of the skin can sometimes buy from us at a good price at antique fairs

lorren68 said:
What is the purpose of dunking in the hot wax?

Wax protects the skin against the passage of water [in this way did the leather bottles ] but in this case it is important that hardens the skin.
It gets stiff and maintains the shape given

Do a search on e-bay for "overstich wheel" the modern reproductions are a bit bulky but come with interchangeable wheels, the vintage units look so much slimmer but so far I have not seen any with an interchangeable style wheel system.

Latest posts

Back