• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last Of The Mohicans (1936)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trent/OH

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry for the short notice, but Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is airing Randolph Scott in the 1936 version of LOTM at 12:15 Eastern this afternoon.

Just in time, :thumbsup: will flip it on here in a few minutes, thanks! Read the book long ago but never saw the original movie.

That's not the original movie -- there's at LEAST one before it if not two...

The silent film version is as creepy as they come -- like The Blair Which Project creepy IMO.

Hey i like that creepy version , Glad you posted it. Am gonna watch it again as its perfect for people like me that can't barely hear anyways.. Alden i agree with you though, far as movies go its weird, weird, weird. Didn't realize either how many versions of the movie there had been. Quite the classic.

James Fennimore Cooper is actually considered the first good, successful, American writer. Everyone read his acclaimed Leatherstocking tales books.

That odd-looking silent Uncas and his stalking of the girl (sisters switch names and roles in various movies from the book) are so insane. They're all odd. CREEPY! Brrr... Gives me the shivers.

Couldn't be anything but creepy with Boris Karloff playing one of the Indians.

Spence

Thanks for calling it out. Once upon a time, before DVR, you had to go through the TV Guide and be in the chair when a movie like that or "Drums Along The Mohawk" or "The Big Sky" or that Last of The MO's was shown.

Sometimes I wish people back then actually dressed like that. A few more Randolph Scotts or Fess Parkers and maybe our kids would grow up a little straighter and believe that a refrigerator just keeps food cold rather than "transforms" into a sic-fi fighting vehicle.

OK, OK, so I'd like to get a few sets of Lego's too, so sue me...

A lot of fussbudgets criticize the 1940-50 era portrayals because of the alphabet soup...y'know, "PC" or "HC" or "IMO"...without recalling that there was a really limited range of good source access until the internet.

I might also point out that, when not carrying one of those dummied up Trapdoors, the actors had original guns because there were no replicas. Besides, if you want drill-down authenticity, then stay away from the Movies.

When we still believed in Santa, and Million Dollar Movie ran that epic ten times a week, settling down with a PB and J, your Hubley Musket or Louis Marx Davey Crockett Rifle was as good as life in suburbia got.

There was a book called "Rogers Rangers and The French and Indian War" that probably got a lot of guys started and led you to Burt Loeschers Books.

The best way to watch these movies is to put them in the context of the people living in 1930, 1940 and 1950 era. Then you can live with the inflated romanticism. The movies make a little more sense when you look at it from the point of view of the greatest generation that lived through a depression ( where a dime would get you into a theater and away from all the threats) and stopped the ultimate tyranny before smoking themselves into the ground.

I remember in the beginning of the re-enactment spurt ( the bicentennial) we all thought Rogers Rangers actually looked like Fess Parker and Spencer Tracy and wore green berets because everybody interested read Burt Garfield Loeschers' book.

Then we started to go to library exchanges and secure more and more sources and publish more and more books....we did not yet have floppy's or e-mail.

Knowing who most of the sutlers were in the 1990's makes the Last of The Mo's with Madeline and Daniel Day very rich once you turn the sound off. Sometimes you just look at cinematography and be grateful because Daniel Day took the time to run around with Mark Baker to learn how to be Hawkeye and...well, you just watch anything that has Wes Studi in it...

When I was a kid Fort William Henry, in Lake George, used to show the silent film before beginning their tour. Yeah...creepy...Then they had that suspicious fire, lost most of the relics and subordinated the fort to the strip of souvenir shops just east of the village. It not personal, Sonny, it's just business...

A lot of silent movies are creepy because the visual had to be exaggerated without dialogue. Now I wish they'd just quit whispering and stop darkening up all the detail in the background with heavily contrasted cinematography.

But, then again, I'm just Old. OMG I ain't dead yet but I can see it from here...

I don't know if you're dead Greg ... but man you can still write!

Enjoyed your thoughts in this post and have read your posts and words (and wit) on the 'scouts' you've taken w/ Fred G and the Daiute brothers. You have the ability to articulate a point or experience w/ such visual clarity that I feel like I was there with you.

That's not death, it's just the silent movie -- focus Greg, focus.

The best thing about Ft. William Henry on Lake George is...

...it's next to a big, inviting, pub on the southern tip of the lake by the waterfront boardwalk made of cement. There are cheap, shiny, coins under the cheaper old inch-thick yellowed polyurethane bar that distract you from getting drunk. The only other interuptions are the odd tourista opening a door to poke a blinding sunlit head inside for a second, the jukebox running out of your money, the omnipresent whistle of the paddle steamboat Minne-Ha-Ha docked across the street, and the occassional "another round?". So good.

The Village welcomes all, Spring through Fall!

Alden, you're my kind of scum. I need a guy like you to go up there and, at dusk, stand in one of the shallow pits where the provincial camp was...by the picnic benches in the park....

Lemme know if it spooks you out as the sun sets.

That first happened when I was about five, and does so every time I go there at that time of day. No other site has ever gone down to my bone like that.

My wife thinks there is something spooky about my compelling need to write books and articles about the place.

When Magua, who three years earlier pulled Faye Wray off the Empire State Building, juices up the indians for the massacre in that movie there is nothing historically accurate about the scene....but it really connects to the provincial site at dusk.

I used to tease her that, when I got old enough, I'd suit up in my ranging garb and go sit out there to die. Then we started to get old. I don't tease her like that anymore because I came to grips with the fact that one day she'd get a call from the New Jersey State Police telling her we got this old geezer dressed funny sitting by the roadside on the Pike....

I never would have thought that the initial post in this thread, long with subsequent writings would have enthralled me to the extent it has. I knew of the "Last of the Mohicans", read the book and have now seen several of the movies but not until i read the words of Greg, Alden and others was i moved to search out the history of the real Fort Henry...i've been reading on and off for days of the historical accounts..i am more than a little taken by it all. I have MUCH to learn about the F&I wars but i just wanted to post a "thank you" to those who moved me to begin the study. Thanks guys, for making this a fantastic thread. :hatsoff:

If you have not read it, I recommend Anderson's "The War That Made America". My current read is Maass's "The French & Indian War in North Carolina. Maass includes a description of the war written by Voltaire as "a war about a few acres of snow somewhere around Canada". :grin:

Thank you Sir! Made a written note of it and will persue your suggestion. Am checking it out online here in a few minutes. :thumbsup:

Reb;

"Relief is Greatly Wanted", by a feller named Dodge, two books on the archeology of William Henry by another named Starbuck and Ian Steele's "Betrayals" will really bring it out.

They are all cumulative on the mountains of research done on the topic.

If you get up to Lake George, try to avoid the Ramada Inn by exit 21. It is across from a miniature golf course. The law up there says that any hotel built with 100 rooms or more is required to hold digging in the event artifacts are uncovered and archeology is necessary. So they built the place with 99 rooms. God only knows what was lost up there. The Holiday Inn is on the site of the british camp overrun during the first two days of the siege. I think they sponsored a dig.

Enjoy.

Thanks Greg so very much for adding to the mountains of information i'm trying to digest on the subject, i feel like this one subject could take me years to comb through but i have to say the material is absolutely fascinating, particularly the finds during the digs...that and the eyewitness accounts.

I will steer far clear of that Ramada mentioned when i make a trip up this summer. :thumbsup:

Back