• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last of the Mohicans Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone said much earlier in thread, the movie was way better than the book. I read the book, it sucked. Michael Mann directed. He also did Heat, the Miami Vice tv series. And probably a bunch i forget. The guy is a genius of action movies.
The opening scene sucks you in then “they stay where they lay” was just wow, the reality of those times.
DDL maybe the best method actor ever. He found Native Americans who knew, then lived in the woods for 6 months and learned Algonuin language. Look it up if you don’t believe me.
He retired from acting a few years later. Made enough money and his dedication to his craft was kicking his ass and taking a toll.
And lets not forget Wes Studi. A true Native amazing actor and excellent in every movie he been in. Including Heat.

Last edited:
The contrabution to muzzleloading , and to the interest in Colonial American history , is priceless from the movie Last of the Mohlcans. Sure there is a lot of Hollywood in it , but that's just spice. I have been fortunate over the last 0 or so yrs. to have accumulated about a wheelbarrow of books that recount many details from actual happenings from about 1740 to 1820. Most of the details from my library are shocking to modern day senses , just as many of the details in L of The M's movie. That history is what it was.. I was born , and grew up in Pa. , between the Mid Monongehela River , and the Ohio River below Wheeling W.Va.. My 6th grade American History teacher , Mr. S. , spent about one half of one class period explaining the local history around the county where we lived , but sadly , though he lived almost with in sight of the famous Garrard's Fort indian massacer , as revenge for killing chief Logan's family , Mr S's contribution to local history was lacking. Loved the guy. He was in several hard fought battles in France , and Germany , during WWII. I admired him.......oldwood
Sadly, that's the way in history classes. I asked my friend from Great Britain what they taught about American history and the Revolution and he said they put them in a room and showed cowboy movies every day. That's why we read so we can know for ourselves what happened in our history.

Sadly, that's the way in history classes. I asked my friend from Great Britain what they taught about American history and the Revolution and he said they put them in a room and showed cowboy movies every day. That's why we read so we can know for ourselves what happened in our history.

Well it’s the new world , you cannot expect much history , like us going back to the dark ages 15,000 years ago But you have adventure still, a wilderness to hunt in , oh and politics. Ha ha. Here’s Forarges castle in France Just a ferry dover uk and you are in France WOW. Big country empty roads

Attachments

• C1105067-B36F-4A1D-95AF-B97B8F3C91A8.jpeg
    C1105067-B36F-4A1D-95AF-B97B8F3C91A8.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 0
  • BDC128EB-1BC1-41AF-86FC-23C38FD7E98D.jpeg
    BDC128EB-1BC1-41AF-86FC-23C38FD7E98D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 836B85F0-8243-412C-9725-2C9B8C0EAA84.jpeg
    836B85F0-8243-412C-9725-2C9B8C0EAA84.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 0
  • 81538E0E-709F-4A02-B0C6-0C65AF17F1C2.jpeg
    81538E0E-709F-4A02-B0C6-0C65AF17F1C2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I need to build a copy of Daniel Day Lewis' rifle he used in the movie Last of the Mohicans. I'm stuck on ,what patchbox did it have , a wooden box , or was it metal ? My copy of the movie is not viewable any longer.
According to a guy I bought the precarved stock from , the gun is not really a copy of any known rifle , but it has Lehigh Valleyish , Pa. characteristics.
I've seen the movie a dozen times , but can't remember the patch box type. Anybody remember???
I can help you out with this, PM me and we can talk.

Not in my school we went, all ' Tons & Hams' Romans & antient Britans' through the rich cavalcade of Britans history Nothing of the ingratitude after Putting to end the French & their savage allys designs to push the ungrateful Colonists into the sea .It ruined the French King bringing on the French Revolution and all that Mess then the upstart Corsican the thief of Europe took over half of it But lost millions of men in his Russian bid . Finally stopped by the Alli. s at Waterloo & Wellington put the lid on his last gambit .S for the film rifle all I heard was Bivens made what was plausible & the director wanted some wrong period rifle ignoring plausibility But the whole tale is based of fancy with little of any attempt at a documentary so what you fancy would be fine .
Rudyard stirring the pot

Last of the Mohican rifle......Just now I'm jammed up with health issues , and with a sick Wife. Ever since Covid came , and it's aftermathe of problems , my wants , and desires are on hold. The Mohican rifle project and a smooth long rifle project , sit waiting by my workbench. All I can do , is keep the Faith and hope time will come again for me to build these projects......oldwood

Hey folks.....Thanks for the history lessons , photo's , and the volumes of info on J F.Cooper . All is completely fascinating. Now I gotta hurry and finish the rifle I'm working on so I can start the movie gun. I've built a number of Lehigh school guns , so this one shouldn't hold any surprises.
One of the guys mentioned Wayne Watson had passed away. Too bad. He was the LOTM movie gun builder. Thanks again guys............oldwood
I've talk to Wayne Watson on phone and met in person at the CLA in 2003, about KillDeer. A great guy, and will be missed.

The rifle that Nathaniel Bumpo carried, not from the movie but literary sources. Was it a Pennsylvania made long rifle, flinter with half-round and octagon barrel that was rifled or smooth bored? Was La Long Carabine his nickname or the name of his rifle or smooth rifle? Somewhere in the past I read a blurb on the rifle and possibly the county or maker in Pa.
The rifle was 50 cal. 48 inches with a Breech plug extension to come out as 50inches Gets barrel. Stock from what I heard and ask was taken from the Jacob Dubbs rifle . Hope this helps.

That would be great! As much this rifle is talked about, there are precious few pictures, & none of them very good! It would be nice to see some good photos and have accurate measurements!
I'm on board with you even I get ask, why wasn't there any up close photos of this rifle???

I will wade thru all 10 pages of this thread at another time but would like to offer my own opinion on the movie and the Cooper books.. I very much enjoyed the movie and have watched it several times, very exciting, well acted with a wonderful soundtrack.
At the end when Chingachgook is telling the gods that his dead son is on the way and to greet him, its easy to lose it right there, I did and still do.

The books. I read the Leatherstocking Tales in abridged form all in one book and that may be the best way to read them, as I have to agree that Cooper does overwrite to an extreme at times, though the stories hold up well.
My personal favorite of the tales is The Pathfinder and in its abridged form is a masterpiece. I later read the complete version and got bogged down at times with over description.
Talk about a book that should be abridged. Read Coopers The Pilot. I just finished it and it started with such promise, the makings of a great sea story which I enjoy very much having spent a good share of my working life on and around boats.
But Pilot really bogs down when he gets into the ladies in peril routine and he spends waaaaaaaaaaay too much time on that element, and worse comes back to it!
As a sea story it works very well and would have been soooo much better without all the ladies stuff. Apparently Cooper had John Paul Jones in mind when he wrote this story, in the character of the Pilot, though that name is not in the story.
I recently watched a very mediocre movie based on and named The Pathfinder with a lame actor named Kevin Dillon as Hawkeye. Even two very good Indian actors, Graham Green and Russell Means couldnt do much to improve it.
It could have been so much better.

I need to build a copy of Daniel Day Lewis' rifle he used in the movie Last of the Mohicans. I'm stuck on ,what patchbox did it have , a wooden box , or was it metal ? My copy of the movie is not viewable any longer.
According to a guy I bought the precarved stock from , the gun is not really a copy of any known rifle , but it has Lehigh Valleyish , Pa. characteristics.
I've seen the movie a dozen times , but can't remember the patch box type. Anybody remember???
I can help you with the patch box. PM me and we can chat.

An attractive rifle. But I have always felt the style choice was a bit odd considering the story's time and location.
OK, Hear is the Deal, Wayne Watson was flowing to California, to meet with Michael Mann's, Wayne showed him the Book Kentucky Rifles from 1750-1850. Page 11, was the Jacob Dubbs rifle Dating back to 1721. Michael Mann's Like it and threw the money on the table to Wayne and change to polish steel and a rifle barrel. Yes it is a Beautiful rifle. I have a few myself. Hope this helps everyone out.
An attractive rifle. But I have always felt the style choice was a bit odd considering the story's time and location.

Last of the Mohican rifle......Just now I'm jammed up with health issues , and with a sick Wife. Ever since Covid came , and it's aftermathe of problems , my wants , and desires are on hold. The Mohican rifle project and a smooth long rifle project , sit waiting by my workbench. All I can do , is keep the Faith and hope time will come again for me to build these projects......oldwood
This is some bad news Oldwood. I hope you can get caught up on your projects and post some photos of you and your healthy wife holding your guns and smiling. Best of luck to you both.

Crisco

Crisco Kid........Greetings to you. The Wife and I have been taking turns getting sick ever since we had Covid two yrs. ago. Here's hoping summer puts us in better shape. I'm still doing maintainance on a couple "no rush until hunting season " factory gun projects. I've promised myself that towards end of summer , I'll try to get started on the rifles sitting in my shop. Of course , "the Good Lord willing." Best to you , and many thanks for the kind words...oldwood

Latest posts

Back